Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my 84 Aspencade.

It seems I was having some voltage drainage problems. I was able to start the bike and ride it with a charge, but suddenly, it started running very poorly. I changed the voltage regulator, but still running poorly.

If the bike is running, I can disconnect the #3 and #4 plug wires with no effect, but if I disconnect 1 or 2, the bike stalls. I thought it might be the coils, but I don't think it would run at all with both coils out???

Any one have any experience with a problem like this? I'm thinking that my next check will be the CDI. I definately don't think that the #3 and #4 cylinders are working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK....

According to the manual, the coil will fire cylinders 1 and 3, and the other coil will fire 2 and 4. Cylinders 1 and 3 are shown to be on the right side of the engine, and cylinders 2 and 4 are on the right.

Now, when I pulled the bike apart, the right coil runs the front cylinders (1 and 2) and the left coil runs the rear (3 and 4).

I'm thinking that the manual has the cylinders numbered incorrectly. Previously, I've put at least 30,000 on this bike and it has run fine. I recently replaced the stator.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
sounds like the wires are crossed, did you try conecting the wires 1 and three off the same coil and two and four like the book says? all hondas i've seen are 1 and 3 off one coil and 2 and 4 off the other coil for the 4cyl bikes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I think the wires are right and I've been riding the bike for over 2 years with no problems at all. As your sitting on the bike, the front 2 cylinders are wired to the right coil and the rear cylinders are wired to the left coil. A coil controls a cylinder from each side (front or back). If the left coil were out, the rear cylinders would not work. The Clymer manual says a coil controls cylinders on the same side (by their numbering). This is not how the wires go.

Now, if the left coil were out, the two rear cylinders would not get spark as is happening (with the current riding configuration). I think the manual has it wrong. At least the way it numbers cylinders. I ordered a new coil, so I'll let ya'll know.

Another forum has a diagram of the cylinder wiring like mine and not like the manual has it.

Rather perplexing....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts