Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an x-tall tulsa windshield and want to cut it down. Does anyone know where I could get the windshield cutdown?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have an x-tall tulsa windshield and want to cut it down. Does anyone know where I could get the windshield cutdown?
... HOWDY ... SNOOPY ... TRY A WINDOW/GLASS REPAIR SHOP ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the local glass places but no deal. I'll probably have to send it off somewhere,

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Snoopy, You could call Tulsa & ask them how to cut it. Or you could stick it on Ebay & buy a different one. I myself actually like the Xtall windshield. I assume you don't like looking through it?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I might be interested if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can use a saber saw. It cuts like butter. Make sure you tape the windshield so that the foot of the saw will be advancing and coming in contact with the tape and not the windshield. Draw your line on the tape and just follow the line. After cutting use a palm sander to remove and marks from the sawblade. Then put a little MEK on a rag and just pass it over the edge of the glass which you've cut and sanded and it will come back like new. MEK stands for Methyl Ethyl Ketone and can be bought in most hardward stores in the paint, thinner, solvent isle. I've done two and they worked out fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to trade it for a stock screen if anyone has one. I have mathematically calculated the probability that I would screw up the windshield if I did it myself -- and have come up with 95.2% probability that I would ruin it. But I may end up trying it anyway. Sometimes when I lean forward I hit my head on the screen. It seems REALLY tall. Plus I will probably never have a passenger. It came that way but I'm leaving for a long trip tomorrow so I get to see how well it works.
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
30 Posts
Late in the post, but this video really helped me, and it works very well.
I cracked one side off the Tulsa that came with my bike and had to ride while waiting for the replacement. So, I made a template along the break, folded my poster board, picked a height and followed their instructions. Turns out I had everything I needed laying around, but here's a list:
18- tooth blade

40-Grit Sanding block (I had 60-grit paper and wrapped a block)

220 grit paper

320 grit paper

Wet 400 grit paper

600 grit grit paper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQj05Db-C3c

I did NOT use a power sander, even tho' I had one; the hand-work did just fine for me and I got a really nice finish on the edge.

I hope this helps, or helps someone else. -s

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally cut mine down = 3" off & it is now just right. The cutting and sanding was easy & it looks like the factory edge. I put 3 layers of tape on the windshield & used a metal cutting blade. Just went up to 320 grit sandpaper & that was enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, Man. I had it easy; I was just evening out the other side so's I didn't look as dumb as I actually am ("look, Erma, that guy broke his windshield") and so I could ride it while waiting for my replacement windshield to arrive.
I'll prolly save the little one (looks like a crotch-rocket windshield with a vent in the middle :) ) in case I have a hankering for wind in my face. -s

·
Registered
39 Posts
Think about a plastics place. Around here there is a chain called "Plastics America". They can work plastics into anything. However, they don't know windshields, so you would have to tell them where to cut. I.e. put some blue tape on the windshield and mark where to cut it.

OR I have a standard windshield that is in good used condition. Came with the bike; (I replaced it with a much larger one, 3" higher). Brand is Slipstreamer and has a vent in it. I would take a reasonable offer for it. Say $50 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wind shield cutting

Hi, just want to say that i did mine by me self and every one is pleased with the result.

Masking tape 'green' on bothe side draw a line with a pencil.
use a dremell with a round saw " keep the rev up but not max" that is good for plastic and wood,
it has deep teeth...procede to the cut above the marked line then start sanding with a block sander 60 grid first than 120 do a round motion from one side to the other while the block sit at 45 degree to the shield
it will give you a profesional finish.
I had a standard size shield that i cut down to my taste and still have the height for the rain protection.
good luck.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thinking of Cutting Your Windshield Down?

I have been wanting to shorten my windshield since I got my wing a couple years ago so I can see over the top of it. Looking through a helmet shield AND a windshield gets a bit distorted, specially in rain. I want to be able to see the road clearly in all riding conditions.

I found this excellent DIY video that I've decided to use in the spring when it warms up, to cut mine down. The guy covers everything to do this job very thoroughly, and completely.

If you're thinking of taking it in someplace to have it done, check out the video to see if you can do it yourself. I'll bet you can.

Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0KZsxyz90

1 - 15 of 15 Posts