Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out the have any comments about the Ultimate line of seats for the 1800's. I have to get rid of the stock seat, it is very uncomfortable being 6' 2" and 198 lbs. I know the Hartco seat has good reviews and the Corbin not so good.

Thanks/Coastie

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I like the look of the Ultimate, but they don't offer heat elements in their saddles. I've had good luck with Corbin seats in the past, but there are lots of negative comments flying around about them lately. Hartco's are popuar, but I don't know if they do heat either. I'm not suffering with my stock seat (yet) so I have lots of time to shop and gather info for when I do need a new saddle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My '08 had the Corbin on it when I bought it, but the previous owner gave me the stock seat as well. I switched them out last weekend but haven't had a chance to try it out due to recent rain. The stock seat is much softer, but less conforming than the Corbin. I also installed a Show Chrome backrest/armrest combo at the same time so I'm anxious to try that out as well.

Hope to get it out this weekend for 300-400 mile ride somewhere and will give a rump report when I return. There's not much padding on MY Corbin so I bought an Airhawk seat cushion, which makes a world of difference. I plan on a few miles with the Airhawk on the stock seat as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ultimate seat line is now available with heat. I talked to the plant yesterday and it has be available for about 2 months. I have the Corbin on my Road King but I am looking for something different for the Wing.

The stock seat after 50 miles is when it starts getting uncomfortable.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
The Dual Tour I had on my Vulcan was awsome. It felt hard to the hand, but when seated it was absolutely fantastic. The Dual Sport on my ST was fine also, but yes, firm to the touch. I'm liking what I see with the Russell seats, and they don't appear to all that much more $ than the others.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sorry about that Coastie, the seats I mentioned were both Corbins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments. Ordered the Ultimate yesterday, and I will have it today. Now I have a stock seat and Kury backrest for sale if anyone is interested. My wing has 6,000 miles on it. Everything in great shape.

Coastie

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been looking at after-market seats too. I really don't like the OEM seat... I don't like the butt-wings and the nose is too wide. My BSR really doesn't care much for the OEM seat either.

I have looked at the Corbin and the Kuryakyn/Mustang. I have heard a few negative things about the Corbin, so kinda leaning toward the Kuryakyn. I like that the Kuryakyn utilizes the OEM heat controls. The Honda dealer near us has a new bike on their showroom floor with a Kuryakyn seat. We have looked it over and sat on it. It looks pretty good and feels much better than the stock seat... I know this doesn't mean it will be comfortable for a 500 mile day, but sure feels better than the stock seat.

Anyone have the Kuryakyn seat?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know this is a rather old post but. I got mu Kuryakyn seat made by Mustang last Friday.

It looks great. For folks that is 6' will appreciate the extra room as well as those of you that have extra weight. Being only 5'7" is the main reason I chose the kury seat. It says 1 inch drop and the sides are narrower. The 1 inch drop is questionable at this point. It is rather firm, not hard mind you. I took a ride at 40 degrees to test the seat and the heat. I rode on a smooth highway and rough back roads for my test. The heat is great. I got the 1 with OEM plug so I could keep my heated grips. You can use the none heated version buy doing a search and using resistors.
I had my control on 3 and within a few min. I had cut it back to 2 then 1. 1 was the heat setting that worked for me. I am sure I may nee to raise the temp. up when it drops cooler.
The ride was good and on rough roads the seat gave some to help with the comfort. Like most mustang seats it needs to be broke in I am sure which could give me the 1 inch drop and more comfort.
The sides of the seat is narrower so feet positions are easier to find. The fit and finish is really good. Not sure of the material they used as it feels like soft leather but I do not think it is. The wife likes it better than the OEM seat.
The backrest will help the short folks like myself. I was afraid I might need to install the kury handlebar extensions. I do not think I will need them. The backrest will move you forward enough to make the bars comfortable. It is very adjustable. I took a threaded spacer and put it on the thumb screw to move the backrest more forward. You can also flip the back rest down by the seat backing and it is very comfortable. Plenty of support.
Installation was much easier than the OEM seat. The screw holes line up easily.

This is my first observation. This week I will be able to tell even more as the weather is going to be in the upper 60's and I will have more time to ride.

just a thought

dd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts