Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am going from this to TRRS.. (please see attached photos if the about don't work)

tip - left audio
ring 1 (closest to tip) - right audio
ring 2 - data of some kind
shield - ground

Tip------------------------5
Ring1----------------------4
Ring2----------------------1
Sleeve---------------------2

With the two grounds (pins 2 & 3) tied together. This is the best method I can think to do this. I asked a few of my colleagues and one of them expressed some concern that tieing the mic in and audio out ground could cause quite a bit of feedback. Some equipment will work fine like this, but other equipment will not function properly.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried anything like this, or can offer any insight as to whether this will work or not.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
hello drew, welcome to GWOF. the first two pic's didn't make it on the board

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
i hardly ever have a passenger so my j&m headset is used mostly for listining to music so i have no need to do anything to the stock pin setup. can you explain what trrs is

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trrs

Ah, yes sorry. A TRRS is a four conductor 3.5mm connector. It looks like a standard 'headphone jack' but instead of having 2 black rings around the connector, a TRRS has 3 black rings. (see photo) This breaks the connector up into four different conductors. One channel for left audio, one channel for right audio, one channel for a microphone and the last is for the ground.

A 3.5mm TRRS connector is commonly used on headsets, as you can get sound and your microphone channels through the same connector. I have one of these headsets, but my bike has a 5 pin din, as pictured in my previous post.

As you can see I know where all the conductors from the TRRS match up with 4/5 conductors on the DIN connector. What I am trying to figure out, is if I can tie the ground from the microphone and the headset ground together. From what I have heard, it is not a good idea to do that, due to extreme feedback.

What I am thinking now, is that I can connect a wire to pin 3 on the DIN connector and ground it somewhere on the bike. This would ensure that everything is grounded, and would also ensure that the microphone and the headset grounds were not tied together.

Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts