Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 gl18, I got 11,200 out of the original tires, changed them out as most the members in my GoldWing club are running the Dunlop Elite 3
So I went to those. I didn't really need to change out the front, but because of change I want to match types. I pull a leesurelite trailer which I put over 5,000 miles with the original tires on the bike.
I now have 4,600 miles on the new elite 3's and yes I except some cupping on the rear because of the weight. It's the front tire, left side only which is cupping very fast and has got me confused about why. I have had the tire man who changed these out, just draw a blank face. The guys I ride with from the club are also confused as they usually get two rear tires to one front tire. Yes, I check the air before each ride. I been running 39 in the front, 41 in the rear. Trying to decide to go back to the stock original tires or try one more elite. Thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm really new to motorcycles so can't address your specific problem, so I'll just hit on cupping in general.

One of the most common reasons for a tire cupping is out-of-balance. you might consider removing the wheel and having the balance checked. Is it possible that you threw a weight? You may also consider the Dyna-Beads. I've read several postings on the net where guys using them swear by them.

Another common reason for cupping is bad shocks. Since it's doubtful your shocks would be bad so soon, look at other reasons that would make the tire "bounce" instead of flex. Does the 1800 have air suspension on the front forks? If so, you may want to back off the pressure a bit. Also, depending on how much you weigh, you may be running a couple pounds too much air in the front tire, especially if you spend a lot of time pulling the trailer. I know that a motorcycle trailer doesn't have much tongue weight, but whatever tongue weight it has will cause the weight to be lifted from the front wheel. If the tire has a bit too much pressure but not enough load, it will cause the tire to bounce and impact the road surface instead of the tire just flexing and staying in complete contact with the road.

Hope that may give you a couple of ideas. Like I said, I'm pretty green to motorcycles, but I am a bit familiar with loads and towing.

Hoss

·
Registered
483 Posts
... HOWDY ... ALL VERY GOOD POINTS MR. HOSS ... I HAVE BEEN A DUNLOP FAN FOR MANY YEARS AND THIS TIME I SWITCHED TO - METZLER 880's ... I ONLY HAVE 2000K. ON THEM BUT THEY ARE WHISPER QUITE AND SEEM TO BE OUT PREFORMING THE DUNLOPS ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome MT.Turbo,i believe CV Hoss is definately pointing in the right direction.I'm a car wrench,thinking about your issue.For the tire to cup only on one side i feel you have something going on with your front forks,uneven pressure,one side with a bad spring or something.Or,the tire itself is just plain defective. I think Dunlops are fine tires,possible you just got a bum one.Good Luck, Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
MT, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. I've never had cupping problems with any of my bikes, (maybe I'm one of he lucky one's), but from what I've hear on other forums is that many times the problem with the front tire is caused by the rear tire. Can't prove it by me, just passing along what I've heard. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had alwaysa ran Dunlops on all my wings, my last E3 cupped bad at 9,500 miles, never before got that few miles from one. I now run Bridgestone's and love them. I suggest you do the same.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Strike 3= defective tire.Glad nothing's wrong with your bike. Hope all goes well with the replacement. Nice to hear Dunlop is actually interested!! I'm a little miffed at Wingstuff right now too. Again,Good Luck and ride Safe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't forget the weird suspension setup on the wing, with compression damping in one fork and rebound in the other! This has to cause the wheel/axle to flex vertically (left to right) as the forks compress and return! That must also cause some weird wear on the tyre.. I would be checking that your forks have the correct amount and type of oil in them as that might also cause some strange effects and is quite easy to check.. Hope Dunlop replace the tyre.. I just fitted Avons and am waiting to see how they wear, but also have a traxxion front end so hope not to see any cupping or there will be trouble!:)

Gary

·
Premium Member
24,520 Posts
I've only had one tyre cup on me and it was a long time ago on my 1200I (circa 1988). I caught it early enough and it was related directly to pressure settings. I followed the advice of one of the GWRRA chapter members, upped the pressure 3 psi and bingo, no more cupping. Other than a tad firmer ride, no handling problems and got about 80% of the expected life of the tyre. Not enough mileage on the 1800 yet to see what the tyres are doing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I always had a personalb problem (car or bike) putting on a non-oem tire and then using the manufacturers spec for tire inflation. If I followed Hondas recommendation for the K177 tire that was originally installed, in the E3's I'm running now, the tires would be under inflated. I use Dunlops recommendation for tire inflation front and rear. Had over 17000 on the last set with life left until I picked up a nail, replaced the set.

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
One side of the front tire will wear more because of the camber of the road. The camber of the road is there to drain the water from the road. The highest part of the road is the centre. Because the highest part of the road is on your left, the left will wear more than the right. That being the case then the right side of the road for me is the highest part of the road. So therefor I need a tire with half it's tread life in the USA so, I will be the only one with even wear when it's time to replace it. Just a thought.

·
Banned
88 Posts
It's all about pressure. My 08 cupped the original tires. If I upped the pressure a couple pounds that cupping would start to go away. Let the pressure drop again and the cupping came back. With the E3's I have now I am at 14K rear and 12K front with no issues at all. Tire still measures 4/32 nds depth so I still have some riding to do. As for the tire cupping on one side only that is either a bad tire or a bad fork plus the combination of being slightly out of balance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One side of the front tire will wear more because of the camber of the road. The camber of the road is there to drain the water from the road. The highest part of the road is the centre. Because the highest part of the road is on your left, the left will wear more than the right. That being the case then the right side of the road for me is the highest part of the road. So therefor I need a tire with half it's tread life in the USA so, I will be the only one with even wear when it's time to replace it. Just a thought.
I have read many many ideas as why the tires wear unevenly including the crown of the road.
My question is this:
If it is caused by the road crown then why doesn't all bikes do it.
I have owned many many types and makes of most made in the past or present but only my Honda VTX and GW does it to the point that I have to replace my tires prematurely.

The crazy part is that not all GW's do it.

I will run my tires at 40 psi and replace them when needed and ride.
I am running E3's presently, that replaced the original tires. Maybe these will do better.

just a thought

dd

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
I have noticed that high mileage tires in the last 20% of wear is where you can see that more wear on the right side of the tire in Australia. If you want photo's to show this, I will get it for you. So I think if you eliminate other posiable causes, you can have a theory. A theory is an idea that hasn't being proven but is probable. Is it the way we ride in Australia. Eg always turning to the right. No we don't do that. Is it the way I ride, no because it happens to other bikes. Is it faulty tires, no because something that is faulty is something out of the ordinary and if it's fairly common. My conclusion is; if you get more wear on the left side of your tire in the USA and I get more wear on the right side of my tire in Australia, then the common factor is the crown of the road in relation to which side of the road that you ride on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My main point is my Ultra Classic averages 30,000+ miles on the front and 14,000+ on the rear. No cupping .
My Victory averages 20,000 front and 16,000 rear Slight cupping around14,000 miles

My old Triumph would get close to what my Victory gets. no cupping

I am not saying the roads we ride have nothing to do with it. I am saying if it were the roads causing this problem then all bikes would do it.

I ride a lot and sometimes I have to buy 3 sets of tires in 1 summer. So that is a expense that I would like to get away from with my Goldwing. I have had my GW for 4 months and have 10,000 miles on it and on my second set of tires. Since February I have rode around 30,000 miles.
I think it is a combination of several things happening together.

dd

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
Dirtdobber I am not much help to you. Keep tire presure up and check regularly will help stop cupping. I get track tires for my bike so I get 12000 on front and 8000 miles on rear. I use the sticky road tires and still find them letting go on my rides in the hills. My consern is that I am here for my family and I want to ride. So my tires never get down to the wear lines. When I went to Philip Island, the front tire was good enough to do the trip twice but I replaced it to get the best grip in what could be poor conditions. I was happy that I did it when conditions turned ugly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's about all 1 can do. I check or add air every time I ride. I am also a safety minded guy I will change tires when most will ride some more before changing.
My wife and I really like the Goldwing. Smooth, quiet and powerful. Oh I can not leave out the outstanding handling it has.

dd

·
Premium Member
24,520 Posts
I am very interested in what transpires over lots of miles with the Traxxion suspension and it's effect on the front tyre. It's no secret that the Wing has a fairly poor fork system for a bike it's size. I switched to Progressive springs in my 1200 and it was far better than stock, but there was significant mileage on it when I did the upgrade and the Superbrace. All I can remember was a bit of front end looseness at slow speeds on rough road surfaces or parking lot entrances, places like that when the bike was newer. I put in the springs and the brace after a scary speed wallow (it only happened the once but it was enough for me). Currently on my 1800 I've had no issues with the front suspension bottoming over anything or giving any mixed signals as far as steering input or that goes. I did notice a bit of harshness coming through the bars over sharp bumps at first, and I don't seem to notice that now (maybe I'm just used to it) and I run higher than recommended pressure in both front and rear skins (41/41).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Not one for checking tire pressures much, I've found running a few more pounds in both tire cuts back on cupping, before upping your tire pressures check the max psi/max load rating on the sidewall of your tires and do not exceed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.