1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
How high or low do you want it to go??

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I did a search on the web but was unable to find the limits for the cruise control. I did find one old post on another forum that mentioned 80mph but it did not say that was the limit. Does the owners manual give any indication as to the top speed setting?

I've never set mine above 72-75 range on my GL1800. I've not had too many occasions to consistently run at 85. Maybe someone will chime in here with some more information..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off i am not an idiot or thrill seeker, how ever 4 years ago on a ride with both my brothers on a back highway i wanted to see what this wing would do, so i laid into the throttle reached a top speed of 126 mph and ran 105-115 for an hour and fifteen mins. Did not see an other car the whole time. Pulled over and waited for my brothers. There are times when in the middle of no where, i feel you can run safely at higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Your bike, your life.
100 mph = 146 feet per second.
I don't see anything safe about that. I have done it but not for extended periods of time. Not trying to change your mind as it is already made up. But don't want others reading this thinking it is safe.

I have a friend who hit a fawn three weeks ago and then the doe doing 55-60 mph. It jumped out and he couldn't stop in time. 6 surgeries in 3 days. Lots of screws and casts. He is typing today on another bike forum with 1 finger. Complains mostly about the road rash and the stupidity of riding without leather or armour.

Good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sorry to hear about your friend and hope he makes a full and quick recovery.
I have not run my bike like that since.
Jeff

p.s. thanks for the reminder of things that could happen.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Hey JMF,

Glad you took it the way it was meant. I certainly have made my share of mistakes because I thought I had things under control. We are all at risk for getting out on the highway at any speed or vehicle. The risk multiplies at high speed tho.

My brain fart was when I was in Germany 13 years ago. Had a company car, on the Autoban, no traffic. straight road thru a forest and no speed limit. The speedo said it would go 290 km so I decided to try it out. I got up somewhere close (guessing 170 mph). I tried but I couldn't quite peg it.

After a few miles , I broke out the heavy forest area into a flat prairie land. In the blink of an eye (not kidding) I went from the fast lane to the middle lane-I hadn't flinched. It was a perfect lane change in a split second and all without moving a muscle. I let off the gas and let it roll to about 35 mph to catch my breath wondering what the H#$% happened. Then I saw a leaf slowly rolling left to right. A slight cross breeze moved me 15 feet to the right in an instant when I broke out of the heavily wooded area. Never thought about it, and I couldn't see it but had it been going the other way, I would have been in the ditch and doubt I there would have been parts left for Ebay.

That was the day I realized I was not as in control as I thought nor did I understand how dynamics multiply at high speeds. From then on, slower is good 'cause I am still here.

Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do. We all learn here from each other. We don't live long enough to make every mistake possible so it's good let others make a few and learn the lesson without the punishment.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride and stick around. I have much to learn from you and others, and no doubt, I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW, I got chills reading that. I am 51 yrs old and i know that i don't know everything and am grateful when i learn from someone. Thank You for sharing that I see in a different light now.

Sincerely Jeff

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
JMF, I still ride pretty fast at times today, but not like I used to. I used to bracket drag race and I've seen what can and does happen on the track in litterally the blink of an eye, and that's only with 10 to 12 second machines. I used to race snowmobiles on the circuit and saw some hairy stuff at triple digit speeds there too. Like L2R mentioned, 146 ft/sec is really moving. In the time it takes for you to realize there's trouble, and then actually act on it you've covered about a hundred yards.. that's a football field for gosh sakes! Yeesh, now I just scared myself thinking about how fast I ws going following that Lexus on Sunday. Not too bright when you consider both lanes were basically full of multi-ton metal cages and their associated mindless operators texting and talking away...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts