Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys day two and i put about 120 miles on the wing and found a few problems. first my cruse won't set, light comes on on the console saying cruse on but when i try to set the cruise it won't lock in and hold the speed. i'm told that there's a speed sensor on the drive shaft that can cause this problem, is this right? also the throttle dont snap back fully closed, is there a way to lube cables or is there a likely supect for these two problems.

i'm sure i'll find more minor problems as i go but these are the biggest pains to me right now.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Paradoxical title, it seems one problem should be fixing the other problem.

First, when you say it won't lock, is it the electrical button that you think isn't working and isn't sending the signal or do you believe the signal is sent but the rest is not able to complete or sustain the task of keeping it up to speed?

All my electronics work, the cc kicks in but drags down over time, usually within seconds.

I have a 95 and first I heard was to replace both filter elements. Did that.
Then heard it won't work over 70 mph. (if this applies to you, then this may help).
I have since found it holds up pretty well if I am under 70 and occasionally bump it once in awhile if it slips. It seems to stay more stable after I have 'bumped' the set button a couple of times after the inital set up.

Someone else will hopefully pinpoint the trottle sticking issue for you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 95. Mine was a worn clutch lever wasn't engaging cruise disconect switch.There are also switches on front and rear brakes and throtle. If you can read these they may help'

Attachments

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lunger where can i find the online manuals.

i'm wondering if the carbs need cleaned or if the throttle cables need lubed.

gonna leave the cruise alone for now and focus on a few other problems i've found

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
On the cruise issue, there are somethings to check that are very simple and quite often the cause of the cruise not setting. The best part is you get to check them while riding.
First bring bike up over 35 MPH in 5th gear. First push out on the clutch lever and try to set the cruise, if it don't set do the same with the brake lever. If it sets after doing either one of these step. It could be the lever bushing is worn, or if they are after market (chrome levers ) some of them just aren't made well and don't close the cruise switch at the end of the lever. Sometime this can be fixed by shimming the lever where it contacts the switch.
It's a place to start with out tearing things apart.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had a thought, bike idles a bit high i wonder if i got a vacuum leak causing the cruise not to set.

Where's the best place to start looking? I already Know that pulling lots of plastic will be involved.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I can't help you on the vacum leak but if the idle is a little high there is an adjust nob inside the fuel access door. Most 1500 I've seen idle around 800 rpms.
Do you have after market lever on the bike., Another thing to check if you, is that the mounting Bolt/ pin is not to tight.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts