Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Wingers. 1998 GL 1500 SE. My cruise is difficult to get set...gotta push and wiggle set button, also on off switch is stuck in on position. I'm really anal about stuff working correctly so I bought a new switch set. Kinda pricy but like I said, I like stuff to work right. Any waynew switch set comes with like 5 feet of harness attached, How the H E double hockey sticks do you get to the connectors that are burried somewhere in the middle of the bike. I can follow the old harness until it goes to the inside the fraframe rail just by the engine. I have half the bike appart trying to find the connection. I have the entire top of the bike off...seat, all the top covers, instrument cluster, windshield, headlamps most of the left side of the fairing. Im at a loss. Do I have to pull the entire faring off? I'm thinking of cutting both harnesses ( old and new) and putting a set of connectors up top. I have the weatherpac waterproof connectors. HELP. TIA.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Send the harness back and just clean the original switches! The old dialectic grease gets sticky and needs to be removed. The switch housing has screws on the bottom of it. Take those out and the assembly will split. Carefully remove the switch and take it apart. There is a small spring and clip in there, so be careful when taking it apart. Clean out the old grease, clean the contacts, and then put in new Dialectric grease. It is made for electrical contacts like this. Put it back together and you are good for another 20 years. I did this on my 88 when I got it in 2012. The switches were workingjust like new when I sold it this spring.

Here is an article on how to do it. It is showing the mute switch. The cruse on/off switch is the same thing.

The cruse speed up and down switches are different. They are dry momentary switches. Clean those with CRC electronic cleaner. No need to take those apart. Just spray the cleaner in the switch and work it a bunch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I tried cleaning the switches but something is broken in the on off switch. It wont lock in when on.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The old grease may be hardened and keeping the latches from engaging.

·
Registered
138 Posts
To replace the switch and harness assembly, the fairing needs to be taken loose from its mounting points. I've assisted with the installation of one of these and there was no way we could see clear to do it any other way. The wire harness is tethered to a few points that you can not access without raising the fairing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To replace the switch and harness assembly, the fairing needs to be taken loose from its mounting points. I've assisted with the installation of one of these and there was no way we could see clear to do it any other way. The wire harness is tethered to a few points that you can not access without raising the fairing.
Cut and put in a connector it is then. Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cut and put in a connector it is then. Thank you
Cutting and splicing the harness can cause lots of problems down the road. There is no need to do that. The harness from the switches runs down and across to I believe the right connector bracket assembly located just above the cooling fan. You know, the one that always gets in the way when you pull the fan. By the way, you will need to pull the fan in order to replace the harness.
Hope this helps .
Ed Martin 0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts