Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, New to this site. I just purchased my 2nd ever wing. I had a 84. sold that last week and bought a 94. Bike is in great shape, except the cruise on-off button will not stay in. If I hold the button in, the cruise light will illuminate. any suggestions how to fix?

Indy

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
You can start by using Radio Shack contact cleaner, sraying and flushing the switch with the clean. Besure to put some rags around the switch area. Yhe cleaner won't hurt the plastic but sometime nasty stuff will flush out. It's a place to start.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pa. I would try the cleaner first. If that does not work you may need to take it apart or end up getting a new one. A new one is not cheap, but then again what is on a Wing. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hiya Indy, welcome. If you do take the switch apart, be careful of the springs, they might be collapsed and need resetting or replacing.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Howdy...and welcome. Are you saying that the switch itself will not stay engaged? When you release it, it just pops back out? If so, it sounds mechanical and not electrical. Hang in there....:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the suggestions. I cleaned the switch unit with contact cleaner and it still didn't fix it.

DW. I am stating that the switch once pushed in, comes right back out. I am thinking it is mechanical now as well.

I have read where others have stuck in or on. I am thinking about soldering a piece of wire across the contacts to basically force it on. What kind of problems will I run into by doing this??

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
As far as I know if you get it on and leave it on there will be no problems. Mine stays on weeks at a time and some say they have never turned theirs off. Have you checked the fuse? Mine is an 1800 so I don't know but I suspect that the ACC/Cruise Fuse is the same on all bikes. There are relays in there too. You really need a Shop Manual to troubleshoot any deeper or somebody who has a model like yours. I know this is a little crazy, but when riding the bike, can you push the cruise button and get the light on and then hold it down with one hand and hit the set button and will it then set the cruise? It takes several seconds (6 or so) for the cruise to actually catch and set. Maybe you could tape it down, turning the light on and then drive and see it the set button works.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When you hit your cruise on it will come back out a little bit but not all the way. I don't see where making your cruise on permanent would be a problem mine never gets turned off anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If you can get in there, and have it make permanent contact, I doubt it would be a problem, can't recall the last time I turned mine off. Other then the light being on all the time I don't see it as an issue
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
If you can get in there, and have it make permanent contact, I doubt it would be a problem, can't recall the last time I turned mine off. Other then the light being on all the time I don't see it as an issue
Ron
Hey Ron...The question I am asking about all this and it hasn't been answered is this. " Does the cruise control work when the button is pushed in and the light is on?" We might just be turning on a light but NOT activating the cruise at all. I agree that leaving it on all the time is of no concern. I just wonder if its working at all.
Isaac

·
Registered
5 Posts
Knees

A friend of mine has the same bike and the same problem. He sprayed the button with a lubricant and after a few pushs on the button the problem was solved. We believed the problem was caused because the button had never been lubrcated. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Isaac: There Are three actual switch in the Cruise control. One is the off/on with does nothing more for the cruise circuit other then put power to the unit and turn on the Cruise on light it does not set the speed. So yes it must be pushed in and remain in to turn on the cruise circuit. The one just behind it is the Resume/Accel button and the one below it, the set/ decel button. These two are momentary contact switches and return to the out position after being pressed.
Press the set button and the Cruise set light comes on. Want to Accelerate push the top accel button till you get up to speed and release. Want to slow down press the set/decel button till you come down to the desired speed and release.
Hope this helps.
Ron

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Isaac: There Are three actual switch in the Cruise control. One is the off/on with does nothing more for the cruise circuit other then put power to the unit and turn on the Cruise on light it does not set the speed. So yes it must be pushed in and remain in to turn on the cruise circuit. The one just behind it is the Resume/Accel button and the one below it, the set/ decel button. These two are momentary contact switches and return to the out position after being pressed.
Press the set button and the Cruise set light comes on. Want to Accelerate push the top accel button till you get up to speed and release. Want to slow down press the set/decel button till you come down to the desired speed and release.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Hey Ron...Yep, I understand that. No problems there. I am just asking if HIS Cruise works when the button is held in. Does it set or just not function at all. His problem is the cruise on/off switch won't stay locked in or it pops all the way back out. I was just wondering if when pushed in (and held in); would the cruise engage and hold a speed when he hit the engage switch. I was wondering if it was the switch itself or something like a mis-adjusted clutch lever, brake lever keeping it from engaging. Maybe I'm not making myself clear but I'm just trying to look at it from all angles.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
No Problem Isaac: I see what you mean. I would be interesting to see if maybe by putting in beside the button to hold it in, if you could get it to set ??.

Ron

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
No Problem Isaac: I see what you mean. I would be interesting to see if maybe by putting in beside the button to hold it in, if you could get it to set ??.

Ron
Now were on the same page Ron.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did as DW suggested. I held the button in and pushed the set button. As long as I held the on/off button in, the cruise worked great. i will open it up this weekend and see if I can get it working. If not, I jumper on the seitch contacts will fix it.

Thanks everyone.
Indy

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I did as DW suggested. I held the button in and pushed the set button. As long as I held the on/off button in, the cruise worked great. i will open it up this weekend and see if I can get it working. If not, I jumper on the seitch contacts will fix it.

Thanks everyone.
Indy
Well, I think that localizes the problem to the switch itself. Glad you tried that. Hope you can get it ironed out.
Good Luck
Isaac

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
took apart the cruise set button and switch again. still couldn't get to stay pushed in. I ended up soldering a jumper across the switch contact. It now stays on. Cruise works great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi All

Just reading this thread with a little interest, doesn't having your cruise on all the time cause any issues, can't see why you would want to leave it on, just my thoughts

regards

Graham

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
took apart the cruise set button and switch again. still couldn't get to stay pushed in. I ended up soldering a jumper across the switch contact. It now stays on. Cruise works great.
Congratulations, sounds like you have a fix. And again, some folks turned their Cruise on when they bought the bike and have never turned it off. Causes no problems that I have ever heard of. Car cruise stays on all the time and its a 96 model. Good job.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts