Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals, I am new to the forum I am a avid winger and love it. Thanks for having me.
I have a question I have a 94 Aspencade for some reason the curise is not working. The set light and the cruise lights come on but the cruise dosent work. It was working and just stoped. I check the fuse and it is good I am confused anybody have any sugestions. :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. Have you tried WD40 around the cruise control. May be the weather has got into it and it's not making the conection. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Yes, and then work it in by pressing it a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Eric has give some good info. There are mirco switches there that disengage the Cruise when you pull the brake & clutch lever. They sometimes need to be adjusted, look at that. A good quick way to check is to push out on them to see if you can make the cruise work.

Ride Safe.

By the way Welcome to the site from Pa.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
What Eric and the Fossil said are right on. Only change I would make for myself would be to use an Electrical Contact Cleaner like what you can get at Radio Shack.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Sounds like the guys have you on the right track. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Nice folks and good info on here..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Only change I would make for myself would be to use an Electrical Contact Cleaner like what you can get at Radio Shack.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
I agree with Ron on the contact cleaner- WD40 is more of a lubricant than a cleaner and if trapped in the switch it would do you more harm than good. Read contents on a WD40 can. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jim you might want to check your Actuator cable going to carb. linkage to be sure it hasen't come off or broke & vacuum line going to actuator. Good luck

·
Registered
793 Posts
Check your clutch and brake levers for play, some aftermarket levers are not as tight as OEM ones at times and they will cause cruise and brake light problems. Switches also may be dirty or worn.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
After all that, all I can add is Welcome to GWOF! Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for your advice on my cruise control great stuff. I have had problems in the past with the hand brake not being all the way in for it to work. I will get some contact cleaner and try that. That could be the problem Ive had this bike for about a year and I think it was left out in the elements. I am restoring it and she is being taking care of now. Thank for all the great advice.
JS

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
When you're done with the restoration, please post pictures.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
The problem that I was having was sticking switches and intermittent operation. I have a 98 Aspencade. Since my bike was snow bound I decided to see if I could disassemble and clean all the switches.

The wiring harnesses for all the switches on the handlebars end up on a connector panel that is behind the main fairing. So I decided to remove all the front and mid-bike body panels, give them a good cleaning and waxing, and also give the "guts" of the bike a good cleaning while I had it apart. It turns out to be quite a job but then I had the time. With a couple exceptions all of these switches can be disassembled and cleaned. I used an aerosol spray electronic parts cleaner that I got at the auto parts store. It did a great job of cleaning. I won't know if I solved my intermittent problem until I get it back together and give it a try.

But since your lights are coming on it may not be a switch problem. I have enjoyed working on the bike and the $70 repair manual has more than paid for itself.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome Jim, from N.C. and good luck with the cc.

on another note, there are 2 sub filters that simply rot away with time. You might want to check them out as well to get your baby back to as new.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Thanks Love 2 Ride....where exactly are these subfilters. I have the exact same problem with my 87 Aspy.

Thank you!
Hey and welcome to GWOF. Sorry, I don't know about the 87's. they are different than the 1500 I would guess. I suggest you start a new thread and ask in the title. Or pm Rigginray he will probably know.
I will post picks for 1500 if needed tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts