Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well guys I won't be using the brake cleaner. Was replacing fork seals on the wing last week and sprayed the brake units on the bike. Some ran down on my painted concrete floor and now I have about a 1 ft circle without paint. I have used carb and brake cleaner many times but not on electrical. Am electrician and am old and broke down and require shots weekly. Took the used shot plastic part and removed the needle. Took the top off of the cruise switch holder and removed the little plastic cover off of the switch and shot rubbing alcohol into the switch as I pushed on the switch. After 2 shots of alcohol the switches work great and the alcohol will leave everything clean. I use WD-40 in model airplane engines and the engine will run on it. We spray it into the engine and start it. It leaves oil on parts when setting and protects from rust. My problem with the switch has been when pushed in the cruise light comes on 1/2 bright. When it comes on full the cruise works. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
28,133 Posts
@bflyr733 I have two thoughts. 1 either the contact inside the switch is weak or pitted to not make good connection or 2 you have a ground that's loose or dirty on the circuit that sometimes doesn't make good connection

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have checked the grounds, also today took the switch apart and cleaned all parts and lubed with electrical compound. Tested all switches and connections. Afraid the relay that is behind the rear fender may be the problem. That means take the bike apart. Manufacture of trike kit built the fender over the relay box. Only way to get to it is remove the rear fenders. May ride for awhile as cruise is not that important to me. Will let you know what I find. The insides of the switch foe on -off is no problem to take apart and clean. Be very careful and go slow. little parts can take off and disappear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same problem on my 2003 Goldwing. The cruise control switch was stuck in the on position, I pulled it out and now it will not engage. The light and wording on my screen does show that it is working when I press the switch in. Did you ever get it fixed? If so how did you do it and what references did you use to pull it apart. Many thanks
Sky

·
Super Moderator
28,133 Posts
@Sky going forward many times it is best to start a new thread topic rather than tack onto one that is over 3 years old, however looking at what you describe, I will offer this.

If the cruise switch does engage, and the light/wording is working then most likely you have one of the many safety switches not closing to allow the circuit to complete, which sets the cruise control.

Start with the Clutch, and Hand Brake Lever. If they are aftermarkets it is quite common for them not to make the switch connect. You can try pushing out on the levers with your hand to see if that will work. Also if they are factory levers there is a bushing in both AM/Factory where it connects to the bars and they may wear to a point where it will not engage the switch.
Next move to the foot brake, it too has a microswitch that needs to make to complete the circuit. They sometimes go out of adjustment as well.

The cruise control circuit can be a bit daunting with everything that needs to close for the cruise to engage. So patience is a virtue and some adjustments, spray lubricant/contact cleaner can work wonders

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Sky going forward many times it is best to start a new thread topic rather than tack onto one that is over 3 years old, however looking at what you describe, I will offer this.

If the cruise switch does engage, and the light/wording is working then most likely you have one of the many safety switches not closing to allow the circuit to complete, which sets the cruise control.

Start with the Clutch, and Hand Brake Lever. If they are aftermarkets it is quite common for them not to make the switch connect. You can try pushing out on the levers with your hand to see if that will work. Also if they are factory levers there is a bushing in both AM/Factory where it connects to the bars and they may wear to a point where it will not engage the switch.
Next move to the foot brake, it too has a microswitch that needs to make to complete the circuit. They sometimes go out of adjustment as well.

The cruise control circuit can be a bit daunting with everything that needs to close for the cruise to engage. So patience is a virtue and some adjustments, spray lubricant/contact cleaner can work wonders
Hi Fossil 12, thanks for the information.

Here is a bit more information on my situation. My best guess is that the problem is at the cruise control switch on the handlebar. The cruise control button was stuck in on position, it would not released when pressed but other than that the cruise control worked fine. However, I wanted to be able to turn off the cruise control using the button as it was designed. So I thought I would disengage it by pulling on the button. I ended up pulling on the cruise control button and it finally released and shut off the cruise control. However, now I cannot get the button on the switch to stay in the on position. In sum I am pretty sure it is problem with the switch that will not allow the button to stay in the on position.
Any idea where I can find a part to replace the on/off button switch on the handlebar? I called a few parts places to day but they did not respond to my phone calls. Also I have not been able to find a good descrition in the service manual on how to remove the switch. If you have that reference I would appreciate it. Many thanks, Sky

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
If you broke the switch, it isn't available separately, you will need to replace the complete right-hand switch assembly.

This is what my bike looked like when I needed to replace mine:

attachment.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you broke the switch, it isn't available separately, you will need to replace the complete right-hand switch assembly.

This is what my bike looked like when I needed to replace mine:

View attachment 272194
Many thanks. I was afraid of that. Any recommendations on who to talk to about parts? I called a few parts places the other day and no one answers. I am also wondering if I can find an switch or assembly that might have been salvaged. Thanks again.
Sky

41 - 51 of 51 Posts