Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now everything works on my '87 Aspencade, except cruise. I can press the master switc and the light comes on the dash "cruise on", but when I press the set button nothing happens. I read that you have to be in at least 4th gear doing 30mph (I think) and I've been well up to highway speeds and still nothing. I've searched goldwingdocs.com and there's nothing about it in the Aspencade manual I downloaded, or at least I can't find it in any of the schematics. Is this somewhat common and is there somewhere I should start looking? I've replaced the brake lever switch and verified the rear brake pedal switch is opening and closing as it should so that's not the problem, could be the cruise unit? Would greatly appreciate some help as to where to start digging. Not that I'd use it much but knowing it doesn't work drives me nuts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would check the switches in the handlebar cluster. I found, since we don't use those switches that often, sometimes they get dirty and don't make contact. On my 99 I sometimes had to hit the set switch several times before it would set. I would not buy any additonal parts until after you check out those switches IMHO. I had the same problem with the hazard light switch on the other side of the handle bars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cruise control

Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks for the reply, I'll post my results.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 1985 LTD did that. The clutch lever micro switch was not being activated when the clutch lever
returned to its rest position. There are two microswitches on the clutch lever. One for when the clutch is pulled in which allows starting in gear, the other to active the cruise contol circuit, ie; when the clutch lever is at rest it pushes against the switch thereby activating the cruise control. The clutch lever gets a bit of play in it after years of use
and does'nt return all the way out against this switch.
Pull the lever and listen closely when you let the lever out slowly,you should hear a little click which means the switch was activated by the clutch lever, I bet yours does'nt activate the switch.Look at the switch,you'll see a small lever sticking out of it which the clutch lever pushes against.
All I did to fix mine was put a small piece of plastic tubing the right diameter like shrink tube or similar to fit over the small microswitch lever,this eliminated the play between the microswitch and the clutch lever. The Cruise works now properly every time.

-Robert-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cruise control

I'll start off by saying it's late and I haven't ridden it to test yet but...... you were absolutely right. The clutch lever wasn't returning all the way to egage the micro switch. What I did was break off the hole for the screw and twist the switch housing forward to contact the lever and eliminate the play, just enough that the screw still catches and locks it down. So far so good, I think I get home early tomorrow so I'll ride it and see if it works. If it does I plan to use it often to make up for lost time. And I may just owe you a beer bstar. Thanks for the info, I know if ever there's a problem you guys will come through for me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 84 Aspencade that has the Markland aftermarket cruise installed.
When I bought the bike, the cruise was the only thing I could find that didn't work, until one day I was out riding, and turned the cruise on and hit the set button.
After a little bit, I realized that the cruise was working, it just takes it like ten seconds, or so, to kick in.
Another thing I noticed, later on, was that the cruise didn't set my miles per hour, but my engine rpm's.
I was digging around this winter and found the control box and there is a switch to set the cruise for either rpm or mph.
Since it does work, I didn't mess with it.
After this long winded reply, have you let it be for a bit to see if it does eventually start controlling your speed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.