Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all
tried to set the cruise control on my last ride and it failed to engage, Pressed the button to activate the system the light in the speedo lit up as usual, went to set the speed and nothing... the "set light" didn't illuminate and no amount of toggling the switch up or down had any effect.
Thought I would see if anyone has had a similar issue before I call the dealers.

Any help much appreciated

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
I've not heard of this, but I recommend calling you UK dealership....

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Check all your switches at the brake/ clutch handles and foot brakes.

If they’re out of adjustment or sticking the cruise won’t engage.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
When riding in a group, the guy following me asked me about my brake light occasionally staying on. When I related that my cruise control was also intermittent (cc system light was on) we both concluded that the rear brake pedal and/or sensor may not be releasing fully. While stopped, I pressed the rear brake pedal in fully several times and let it "pop" back by moving my boot to the side - problem solved. Must have been a sticking sensor. We had been through a lot of cold and wet weather prior to this. No problem with it since.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the helpful hints. Now I come to think of it I did think I saw flickering brake lights when the bike was idling in my garage, will check this out and maybe adjust the switches. Weather permitting out for a ride on Monday so will update then.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
There are micro switches on the brake lever (naturally yours has no clutch lever LOL) and just exactly where on the brake pedal I'm not sure if it's different from the earlier 1800's like mine. I believe int is near the return spring attachment but perhaps one of the more talented wrenches can confirm that. Electrical contact cleaner and canned air should fix that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. no joy with the switches up to now. Front switch seems perfect. rear seems to have the light flickering slightly as you press the pedal although the switch is clean and not sticking at all.
However I can vouch for the two crash pads on the left side as I dropped the bike at a standstill in the snow when some temporary traffic lights were stuck on green for both flows and I met a line of cars heading straight for me. Only damage was scuffs to the underside of the plastic covers on the protectors, cant believe I got away with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All sorted. Turned out to be the rear switch. The spring had been fitted through the tip of the rubber boot, then some ingress of water had made the switch action notchy, meaning the switch wasn't always releasing fully.
So cleaned and lubed the switch, fitted a show chrome pedal extender so the pedal is more comfortable to use (therefore I'm using it more) and hey presto the cruise control is working correctly again.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.:):)

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
Good to hear. One of the downsides to having all that bodywork....makes trouble shooting more work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts