Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

With the snow starting to fly, I was thinking about one of my goals- to drive across Canada on my wing next summer. I have no desire to travel both ways, so I am contemplating flying to the east coast, buying a new bike, and riding back to Alberta.

Another option would be to find another rider in the East with the same idea, each fly out to the other persons home and pick up the others bike, then ride till we meet and switch back to our own bikes.

Has anyone else considered such an adventure?

chrs- mat

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Hi Guys:

With the snow starting to fly, I was thinking about one of my goals- to drive across Canada on my wing next summer. I have no desire to travel both ways, so I am contemplating flying to the east coast, buying a new bike, and riding back to Alberta.

Another option would be to find another rider in the East with the same idea, each fly out to the other persons home and pick up the others bike, then ride till we meet and switch back to our own bikes.

Has anyone else considered such an adventure?

chrs- mat
No, sounds like too much work, getting it all to come together with the timing etc. Plus the liability and concerns of riding someone else's bike. Personally, I'm a little funny about people riding my bike, with the exception of close friends, etc. What if the bike broke down half way, it could get ugly, you saying it "just broke" and him saying you "abused it" or something. I don't like being the pessimist, but riding your own bike both ways would prolly be the cat's meow.

Anyway......

The ride sounds like a lot of fun, Canada is beautiful landscape for sure. I hope you get it all worked out so that you can experience and accomplish one of your goals.!!

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
You could ship your bike, then fly to it. George Henderson has done that and he knows of a company. It may not have a presence in Canada but I'll bet there is a company that will do it.

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
Have to agree with Tom, but your idea is certainly interesting. Here's an Ole Fossil's opinion on the whole thing (since I recently did it). Ride through Canada one way and the States the other way. Much to see and much adventure to remember.

:doublethumb:

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^That's the way I"m going to do it in '17. Across the prairies on the way down, and then back through the States on the return leg.

What I'd question on the purchase idea would be the extra taxes in the Eastern part of the country (excessive and might get worse) along with being an out of province registry and possible insurance glitch. I'm sure it can be done, just might be some hoops to jump through.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Shipping would be a lot less expensive than buying a new one on that end, for sure. I've shipped three times in the US with Federal Motorcycle Transport without one glitch. Packed everything on the bike and our carry-on was a small bag and our helmets. We always took the airport limousine service to the freight terminal, picked up the bike and rode to the motel. On the return, we had the limo svc pick us up at the freight terminal after dropping the bike off. Great time saver, as well, especially when woking with limited time off.

·
Registered
745 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^That's the way I"m going to do it in '17. Across the prairies on the way down, and then back through the States on the return leg.

What I'd question on the purchase idea would be the extra taxes in the Eastern part of the country (excessive and might get worse) along with being an out of province registry and possible insurance glitch. I'm sure it can be done, just might be some hoops to jump through.
All the extra taxes are here in Ontario.He'll be OK buying out east.>:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could ship your bike, then fly to it. George Henderson has done that and he knows of a company. It may not have a presence in Canada but I'll bet there is a company that will do it.
Thx Crownfire. The shipping idea is something I will check into. If I drive east and ship it back home when I'm done, I will have no problems with drop-off and storage. I'll let you know what I dig up or pricing.

mat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Unfortunately I only have a set number of holidays I can work with. Riding both ways just isnt an option for me regardless of the route I take.

I would insure and plate it in Alberta, so there is no added cost for purchasing out of province. Also the PST I would pay in other provinces is fully rebated as long as I am leaving the province of purchase.

Thx for your input, will let you know how I make out. There's still lots of time to come up with my final plan.:smile2:

mat

·
Registered
80 Posts
His tax would only be gst and he could plate it in Alberta before he leaves. A used bike would require a trip permit to get him back to Alberta for an out of province inspection and then plates. Lake Superior, Muskokas, Kowarthas, eastern townships, gaspe, cape Breton, pei, nfld and Quebec to Labrador is now paved(so I am told). So much to see when you get off the transcanada. You could wear out a gold wing and still have more to explore
I hope the trip comes together for you
Doug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx Doug. I'm hopeful I can make something work. It's only a matter of how many $$ I need to throw at it to succeed.
I am not considering a used bike for a few reasons, but one of them is that used goldwings seem to be priced lower in Alberta than in other parts of Canada. The other reason is the 2016 black goldwing just makes my mouth water. Yowzers!!
Mat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys,

I live in NB and I have a few questions. First thing first. I am wondering about Goldwing prices as I am hoping to purchase one in the next week for a cross Canada trip next summer. I am looking at an 07 with 33k on the clock. The only thing it doesn't have is an airbag from what I can see. Bike is clean and no drops or accidents. What kind of money it that thing worth. I have been biking for years and in the past BMW has been my bike of choice so I know those things inside and out. Goldwings are new to me so is there anything special I should look out for with one of these before I buy one. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
NBWing, welcome to the forum from Illinois.
A well maintained wing should not present any issues other than a brake recall that Honda is rolling out at this time. NADA says it should retail for under $13000 unless it has a lot of options installed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am guessing that north of the 49th parallel the prices tend to run a little higher. Hopefully someone in Canada can comment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ontario kijiji has a number of bikes matching those numbers and are listed between 12 and 17k cdn. Sure like that one in Ottawa. You probably should start your own thread though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am guessing that north of the 49th parallel the prices tend to run a little higher. Hopefully someone in Canada can comment.
Hi NBWing. The one thing I have noticed is used goldwings generally tend to be cheaper in Alberta than anywhere else given their odometer readings. Have you considered buying a bike here and riding it home?
Mat

·
Administrator
25,984 Posts
NBWing, PM your way

1 - 17 of 17 Posts