Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oz just bowled out Sri Lanka to finish the cricket season. Now I can get off the lounge & do some riding.

Was an interesting, 7 can, one day game. The game was in Adelaide & I was watching to see if I could spot Eric on the hill.

(I measure how good a game is by the number of beer cans/time spent watching)

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Glad that you enjoyed the match (is that what it's called????) Bob

Never saw Cricket, understand it's sort of like baseball??? but the bat looks kind of like a hockey stick.

I have watched Aussie Rugby, good action & love those guys in the white trenchcoats & hats. They are excited when someone scores.:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Glad that you enjoyed the match (is that what it's called????) Bob

Never saw Cricket, understand it's sort of like baseball??? but the bat looks kind of like a hockey stick.

I have watched Aussie Rugby, good action & love those guys in the white trenchcoats & hats. They are excited when someone scores.:D
There is a bat & ball, but I think that's where the resemblance ends :) The bat has a long flat blade & short handle, nothing like a hockey stick

The white trenchcoats belong to Australian Rules football - ask Eric about that. It's popular in the southern states, But Rugby League is the big game in Queensland & New South Wales. Rugby Union is similar, not quite as popular, but being what I played at school, I enjoy more.

Aussie Rules football is just like Gridiron to me - just cant follow what theyre trying to do :rolleyes:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Youtube to the rescue - very basic rules of the game spoken in American ;)

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Thanks for the lesson Bob. Since I'm a Yank I think I'm more confused now.:confused::D;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
np fossil. A 2 minute video cant tell you much about a game that, in its full form, goes for 5 days. There's plenty of youtube videos to search if you get a time when you absolutely, positively, cant find anything better to do.
The game that just finished was a one day version, being a 3 way series between Australia, India & Sri Lanka. We were a bit lucky to win.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Sorry to let you down by not going to the cricket. Work has got in the way of a good game. I would have looked good with my CAT hat on and standing on the hill.
Fossil you do not have to understand the game here to have agood time because this a guide to a cricket game. Spectators rules of cricket by ETH.
1/ You must go to the game with a mate with the intention of it getting a bit messy.
2/Leave the car home in light of the first rule. Travel to the game via a couple of pubs.
3/ Drink as much as you can while watching the game but pace yourself, it is a long day.
4/ If the game is a bit slow feel free to comment on the intelligence of anyone in ear shot or the talent of any young lady that walks by.
5/ If you team wins you go to the pub on the way home to celebrate until the public transport will not let you board the bus.
6/ Now ring your wife to come and get you and the first thing you tell her is how you are not drunk and she is the best.
7/ Late the next day ring your mate and ask how we got home and what did we do yesterday.
8/ Now you can say you have enjoyed a game of cricket. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Oz just bowled out Sri Lanka to finish the cricket season. Now I can get off the lounge & do some riding.

Was an interesting, 7 can, one day game. The game was in Adelaide & I was watching to see if I could spot Eric on the hill.

(I measure how good a game is by the number of beer cans/time spent watching)
Crikey!! Mate, game looks like the bees knees....if you are plunked, keep an eye for the booze bus. Cheerio!!:)

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Thanks for the lesson Bob. Since I'm a Yank I think I'm more confused now. QUOTE]

Yikes :eek: It's a game :confused: I thought it was a Bug Season :eek:
You know like Mosquito, June Bug, exct. Think I'll stick to Wing Riding:eek: Sorry

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Yikes :eek: It's a game :confused: I thought it was a Bug Season :eek:
You know like Mosquito, June Bug, exct. Think I'll stick to Wing Riding:eek: Sorry
And they can be noisy buggers too. Right up until ya walk up on 'em.:D

·
Administrator
26,312 Posts
I've tried many times to get the hang of cricket, just can't figure out for the life of me how they count the scoring. I can sort of understand the play (as long as you don't think baseball it does seem to get along ok) and it is rather intriguing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While Erics description is pretty accurate, the following might help:

The Definition of Cricket as Explained to an American:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yee Haa. Nth Queensland Cowboys (Townsville based) just beat the Brisbane Broncos 28-26. I like the way there is absolutely no gap between the cricket & footy seasons. Must have another Black Label to celebrate.

Yeppoon is 800 km , midway, between both locations, so we go with the underdog Cowboys.

Why do 2 Rugby League teams have American sounding names? I can explain the Cowboys name, but don't kmow if there's a story behind the Broncos.

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
While Erics description is pretty accurate, the following might help:

The Definition of Cricket as Explained to an American:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.
Oh now I think I've seen this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sShMA85pv8M

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
I've tried many times to get the hang of cricket, just can't figure out for the life of me how they count the scoring. I can sort of understand the play (as long as you don't think baseball it does seem to get along ok) and it is rather intriguing.
Hey Budok' sort of like this.:D

·
Super Moderator
11,575 Posts
Sorry to let you down by not going to the cricket. Work has got in the way of a good game. I would have looked good with my CAT hat on and standing on the hill.
Fossil you do not have to understand the game here to have agood time because this a guide to a cricket game. Spectators rules of cricket by ETH.
1/ You must go to the game with a mate with the intention of it getting a bit messy.
2/Leave the car home in light of the first rule. Travel to the game via a couple of pubs.
3/ Drink as much as you can while watching the game but pace yourself, it is a long day.
4/ If the game is a bit slow feel free to comment on the intelligence of anyone in ear shot or the talent of any young lady that walks by.
5/ If you team wins you go to the pub on the way home to celebrate until the public transport will not let you board the bus.
6/ Now ring your wife to come and get you and the first thing you tell her is how you are not drunk and she is the best.
7/ Late the next day ring your mate and ask how we got home and what did we do yesterday.
8/ Now you can say you have enjoyed a game of cricket. Eric

Now that's my type of sporting event! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts