Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out on a three hundred mile Sunday ride by myself. As I approached the second ten mile an hour (sign) button hook turn I noticed a teen age girl in a small car ahead of me. I approached the turn slowly, but right after the sharpest part of the turn, the girl slammed on her brakes and stopped for no apparent reason. I dumped as much speed as I could while taking the only non collision path which launched me off the road. There was no shoulder. A steep drop into :wacko:heavy woods with a wall of thorny vines awaited me. I was thrown off the bike, did a flip and got the wind knocked out of me. I felt my back popping like knuckles cracking. A scratch I would find later on top of my helmet, otherwise ok. Today, am very sore and have a big bruise on my left inner thigh close to the knee. The bike rested on on its side somewhat buried in thorny under growth and thankfully soft dirt. The girl who caused me to crash did not stay stopped. She took off. A few people did stop, and with their help, we carefully towed the bike backwards back up onto the pavement. I brushed clumps of dirt off, removed some vines and the bike started right up. I rode it the hundred miles home, with injured pride, and an aching back. I told my wife about it after I walked in the house under my own power. The only damage to the bike is light scratches on the saddle bag, and front cowl on the left side. I will be ok, but right now am pretty sore and eating muscle relaxers and vicodone. I am baffled as to why the girl stopped, or how I could have avoided the accident. This was not high speed at all, but the angle of the shoulder made it more serious than the speed alone. Glad I didn't get far enough off road to encounter a tree. I usually count on cars trying to kill me, but I really didn't see the full stop in the middle of a very tight turn coming. Ouch!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
She probably saw a text on her phone! :mad:

Glad it wasn't worse.

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Glad you are okay.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Glad you're OK! There's just no shortage of stupidity out there, is there?:swoon:

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Geebuz! Glad you weren't more banged up. Can't trust cagers...EVER!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Always hate to hear about a crash....but prefer to hear you survived it. Hang in there

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Wow....stuff happens sometimes beyond our control. Can't think of anything else you could have done. Scrubbing down speed and taking an evasive move was probably the smartest thing you could do to avoid a contact collision and result in greater injury and bike damage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
been down twice, one a large truck slammed on brakes in front of me, i hit the brakes and turned at last moment causeing me to be thrown from the bike and sliding across the pavement, secound a car came around bus head on into my lane with about 15' to react i again hit the pavement, bike hit the car, i slid into car my chest cracking the front bumper. i'm healing and will soon take a course to learn and practice how to control panic stops.

hope you heal fast.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
States need to outlaw Texting and driving letting all know it can and will be traced ,My best friend was killed by a texter so I have no mercy on idiots who text and drive.
In Washington it is illegal to use the Cell phone or text while driveing. But I still see them on the cell every day.:SadSigh:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Glad you weren't serious injured. Hate to think ill of someone, but it almost sounds as if she was trying to cause an accident.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts