Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us had at least one. Creating a thread to discuss them.

My first was when a dog ran out in front of me and I could do nothing but run him smooth over. Not going very fast but I still ended up having my right leg crushed between the road and the bike. In a brace for 6 weeks as tendons in the right ankle, knee, and hip repaired themselves.

Last crash was in the late 80's while in the Army. Was block racing in my KW454 when I felt the top end of 2nd gear slip the rear wheel. I thought it was just traction so I grabbed some clutch and dumped 3rd gear. What really happened was that the gasket around the oil filter gave way and spewed hot oil on the ground coating the rear wheel. Little road rash and loss of pride was all from that crash.
Knock on wood, I haven't laid her down in about 25 years.

What kind of crashes have you had?

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I would like to jump in here but it would make me look I ride with my wheels in the air all the time. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I would like to jump in here but it would make me look I ride with my wheels in the air all the time. Eric
LMAO. this group is giving grief to those who scrape pegs. Imagine the self-inflicted torment for admiting to scraping helmets. :)

I can't even begin to write this but I like the idea of the thread. If I did, it wouldn't make my posts make more sense but people would be more tolerant.:D:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
OK, I'll fess up! I wrote off my first Goldwing:eek::rolleyes: Long story. I also dumped my 750K entering a ramp too fast with cold tires..and gearing down too far.:rolleyes:
AND..I dumped my brand new.(2 wks old) Magna 750 driving though a parking lot at night & hitting some sand just as I grabbed a handful of front brake..just before I hit the parking curb..that was around one of those YELLOW photo booths in the MIDDLE of the parking lot...who paints a parking curb Yellow when the overhead lights are friggin' YELLOW???
That's my story..and I'm stickin' to it!:D
But,that was many moons ago, since then I have been behaving..so far!;)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
If confession is a step down the road to recovery, I'll just say that in 07 I was riding my 06 VTX around the neighborhood in the late evening hours and I had no business being on my bike then. The body shop did a nice repair on the knee impression dent on the side of the tank and matched the original color as best they could.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i had a dirt bike growing up, crashing was an everyday occurance:D

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
We use to have scrambles and living on the land we made our own track and I would practice an hour or two every day. It is a different riding skills to road riding. But I have never been scared of the dirt or sand. The wing is dam impossiable in sand, it doesn't like to turn in it. It not bad in the dirt if you go slow because there is not a lot of suspension travel when the going get rough. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'm from the same group as detdrbuzzard with dirt bikes and the resultant spills with them. Great learning tool and it's saved my hide more than once on the street and open road. Had only a couple minor spilles due to wet road construction and rain soaked grass in campgrounds, but some seriously close calls with cagers and animals. Sometimes it was proper reaction and skills practice that kept me upright, last summer it was sheer luck (frickin forest rats!).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Dirt Riding

So far only dirt bike spills and nothing serious - no injuries. My best memorable moment was when I went over the handlebars, rolled as I landed on the dirt with large roots growing over them. I looked like I knew what I was doing but if truth be told, I just landed well and a few feet clear of a big tree.

The last time I rode was when I fell off the dirt bike three times in one day and that was before I got into the swollen river water to cross it. I put it down in there and my ankle was wedged between the bike and large river rocks; I was up to my neck in swift moving water. My friend lifted the bike off my ankle and I was ok. If he was not there with me I might have drowned. I was riding on a ZR400 and those bikes are heavy.

I have not rode on dirt ever since but that is because I am getting too old for that B_ _ _ S _ _ _. Besides, the road is much more enjoyable...so far.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
On a trip with a group of friends back in 92 on our new to us 85 Aspencade, the guy I
bought it from kept trying to get to ride his Harley, I was able to find excuses not to for three days. Finally on the fourth day it was just the two bike crossing Eastern Washington on our way to Montana and I run out of excuses, we made the trade with my wife staying on the wing. I was having a terrible time everything was located differently gear shift, foot brake exct. Anyway he takes off on his old wing with my wife. I finally get through the gears and tearing down the highway trying to catch up. They up and over a hill and out of sight, when I put over the top, there is the wing all lit up like a Christmas, deer all over the road and a car coming the over way trying to get stopped. First thing I could not find in the rear brake pedal ( way forward and up from where it was on the wing.) Finally found the brake and got on all brakes in a panic, the rear wheel locked up and starts to come around to the right. Slams into the left saddle bag on the wing, The wing stayed up right but the Harley I'm on, the rear now swings around to the left from the impact and goes down on the left side and we slide down the road to a stop. ($2000.00 in damages to the Harley and $1500.00 to the Wing). I paid both the deductibles, but felt kind of screwed since I didn't want to ride his bike to start with. Haven't ridden anyone else bike since.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
My first would have to be loosing it on the wet grass in the back yard with my old '76 CB750 nothing hurt but pride.

But my second a bit more serious. In '02 a lady decided to turn left in front of me and it cost me a rather nice GL1200 Interstate. Totaled the wing but I escaped with some cuts to my face, glass in my eyes and a very jacked up back. Was only doing about 25-30 when I hit her or it could have been worse. Played superman, but with out the gracefull landing, for about 50 yards. Took me 3 yrs to get the nerve to get back on a bike, and I must say that crash changed the way I ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does it count if you crash when you're not moving? Like when I started to get off before lowering the kickstand? YIKES! I can't believe how far it threw me.......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for sharing your stories, but most of all, thank the gods that you are all still around to tell them.
We all assume a certain amount of risk when we ride, it is up to us to make wise decisions that improve the chance that we make it home safely.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My latest was at Laguna Seca Raceway in May. I started up my bike and headed to the pits for tech inspection. I was in shorts, flip-flops, t-shirt, and baseball cap. I rolled on the throttle and before I knew it, my bike was sideways in an unintentional powerslide. The rear caught traction and threw me sideways over the bike. I landed on my feet although I scraped my toes pretty good. The bike slid for about 25' but was ok as it skidded on the sliders. Been doing this for years and what I learned is that Battlax 003 race slicks are slippery as snot when brand new. Picked the bike up and drove slowly to tech inspection tail between legs. Go Squids!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great Topic

Had to laugh reading some of the stories, I think most of us have had some of these experiences. Back in the 60's I put my 650 BSA under a parked cab, popped the clutch in a gravel strewn parking lot, and survived - so did the bike with only a bent rim that made riding home that night exciting.

In 08, sitting on my 06 Triumph Rocket waiting for a red light to change a 1961 Lincoln ran the light going in the opposite direction, t-boned a car in the intersection then crossed four lanes and hit me; my shoulder doesn't work real well but I survived. Two months later I got another Rocket.

In May 2011, starting out on a 6000-mile plus trip early in the a.m., I dumped my Wing. Leaving the parking lot I had to ride up a steep incline, stop at a stop sign, then make a left turn and ride down a steep road. Got to the stop sign, put my left foot down and there was no road!! The Wing dropped on its left side and I was thrown clear to roll down the hill. My niece, who was seeing me off on my latest Gold Wing adventure helped me get the Wing upright, a mean feat since we were on a steep incline. Bike upright and kickstand down we checked out the bike, no damage. The road peg and rear saddlebag guard kept the Wing off the road. I remounted the Wing, gunned the throttle and jumped through the stop sign and made the left turn to head downhill. Then I noticed the low air pressure light blinking. After a few miles the blinker went off. Corrected the air pressure at the 1st gas stop ten miles distance.

May all your accidents, major and minor, leave you safe and sound with your humor intact.
T-Rex

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
i had never been on a motorcycle the day i fell , i decided to take a little ride because i thought i was so good because i could ride down the street in my hood , well i was wrong on my first turn i went to fast and got scared and fell to the ground , i looked up there was a police officer on the corner i hurried up and stood up and waived to him i was alright picked the bike up and went home , i had no right being on that bike and thank god i didnt kill anyone while doing it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts