Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 1500 cranks only in neutral and is annoying. Found a little switch behind the clutch lever and thought it might have something to do with it. Is that the culprit or do all GW's crank only in neutral? If that switch is the problem, what problems occur changing it? thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
A loose wire at the clutch or a switch at the kickstand. Make sure the kickstand is "completely" up and the sensor isn't sticking.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Do you have the kickstand down?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think this is normal on the later 15's. My 2000 will only turn over in neutral, and will die if the bike is in gear and the kickstand is put down, regardless whether the clutch is in or not. A safety system.

·
Registered
515 Posts
By the way, Welcome to the forum,

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cranks only in neutral

It doesn't matter if the stand is up or down. It only cranks in neutral. So that eliminates the stand. Again, there is a small push button behind the clutch lever and it is free to move in an out but don't know about the other end connection. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I have a 1993 and it starts in Neutral. If you have a service manual there is a gear position switch (I kid you not), you can see it in the electrical schematic. You'll need a service manual to view the schematic.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does your bike have cruise control? With the cruise set, any action of either brake or clutch will dis-engage the cruise. The switch you refer to on the clutch may be what does that. Again, I think the condition you describe is normal. The bike only starts in neutral.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
It could be that the lever bushing is worn and the lever is not putting enough pressure on the micro switch.
This is going to sound real cheesy, but I have done this on at least 4 1500;s to fix the problem including my own.
Notice where the screw for the clutch lever goes through the lever on the grip side of the lever it kind of look like a cam or knuckle. When the lever is squeezed this rotates forward against the micro switch. If the screw bushing is warn or on some chrome after market lever it's not large enough to put the required pressure where needed.
So the cheap dirty fix to this is. You will need some electrical tape to start. Remove the screw holding the lever, before you remove the lever note it's position and where the micro switch in relation to the lever when it is full out. Now Cut don't tear Cut a piece of tape about 3/4 to 1 inch long and place on the cam/ knuckle of the lever so when the lever is squeezed it will rotate forward and activate the switch. Do not put it so it will activate the switch with out squeezing the lever. If you do your cruise will not set.
Yes it sound cheesy but believe me when done right it works
From the northwest corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
One more note:
The 1500 should start in gear with the kick stand up, and the clutch squeezed in.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ron, I think that was the case on some earlier years (not sure which or to what date), I think my 96 would start that way. Had to recheck for myself just now, my 2000SE will not start in gear with clutch in, checked my owners manual and it states the same, bike should be in neutral. I think GoldDiggers "problem" of only cranking when in neutral is normal.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Whacker: I certainly don't want to pass on any bad information, so I'm going to do some checking on another forum I visit, to see if there was a difference in this over the years of the 1500. To me it would be a safety issue, if the bike stalled in traffic and you had to find neutral to start the bike and then put it in gear again.
It maybe later in the day before I get back, This is going to be one of the last nice days for a while and I going on a lunch ride with one of my riding buddies.
DI you have you Side Stand up when you tried your yesterday ??.
Later
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Golddiggerand Whacker: I got replies on the other forum faster then I expected . I've posted one below.
So the bike should start in gear with the side/kick stand up. I'm going to suggest you go back to my first post on this and try what I suggest there.
Whacker if your bike won't start in gear with the side stand up, I think you may have the same problem.
1. Sticky switch.
2. worn bushing
3.after market levers that don't make contact right.
4. Fat grip that don't allow the lever to come in far enough.
The tape thing I suggest will fix numbers 2 , 3 and 4. A good flushing with contact cleaner should fix number 1.
Yes you should start the bike in neutral, when first starting your bike then you can let it idol without holding the clutch in till it warns up.
Now I'm going to leave in a bit for a lunch ride, I expect you guys to have this fixed by the time I get back. ;)
QUOTE:
Ron, all of the 1500s will start in gear if the clutch is pulled in and the side stand is up unless one of the safety switches are bad. There is one located on the left handlebar just under the front of the clutch lever. Sometimes people change out their hand grips for fat ones and the lever fails to come in and activate that switch so it will start in gear. That same switch is prone to getting dirty and even tho you may hear a double click when pulling in the lever the bike will still fail to start. In 95 (I think), Honda changed their engine shut off switch so the engine will not even turn over if the switch is turned to the off position. Before that, the engine would spin over but not fire. More than likely, your friend had a bad clutch switch or one with dirty contacts or the bushing in the clutch lever is worn to the point the switch is not engaging, OR, someone has changed to after market levers and the switch is not being activated.

From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Does your bike have the stock levers? Some of the after market levers will cause that problem, it is probably the micro switch at the clutch lever.

·
Registered
515 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek: Guess I should learn to keep my mouth shut. This now bothers me enough that I hopped on the bike and went up to the shop. Jumped on and 18 and it starts as in gear. Damn! Wrong AGAIN! The all knowing Tom is on vacation this week, but at this point, it looks like I have something to fix. I could swear I was told otherwise when I bought the bike, it's been like this for 3 seasons now:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Best of luck fixing this Whacker, It could be something else but I'm betting one one or more of the things mentioned above.
Again Best of Luck and keep us posted.
Ron

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cranks only in neutral

thanks Ron for the tip. I did what you said and it still does not crank with clutch lever pulled, kstand up but in gear. I was told by a mechanic that the micro switch was the problem but what you are saying is it is what kills the cruise.
When the lever is pulled (clutch engaged) the micro would be "out" and when released it "clickls" in. IF it is the switch then the micro switch would need to be "out" and the tape on the cam would not do anything. I do notice that on the road with heavy winds behind trucks that the cruise kills and then I have discovered that if I work the clutch lever it will engage again. SOOO, I think it is a cruise kill switch.

I might not be doing it right or the switch is bad.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cranks only in neutral

Thanks guys for help. I still have OEM levers and grips so that is out. I took spray cleaner and sprayed the micro and no luck. I need to take the lever off again to see if I can see something strange. Not having been a wing owner before I am not familiar with what does what and where it is.
But you guys are saying that the bike should crank in gear if the k/stand is up, right? It is not safe having to go to neutral, like being on a hill and it dies, then I have to jockey for the gear, etc.
Are you saying the micro switch may be the culprit? How can I check just it? How do I change it?
Where can I get a factory service manual?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cranks only in neutral

Ron, you were exactly correct. I took the lever off and found the other micro that deals with the starter. I placed my finger on it and cranked it in gear with the k/stand up. Put several pieces of tape on it but it still would not work. the lever has a good deal of play in the bolt hole so I guess I need to get a new lever.
I think I can get it from here and you guys are great.
Really enjoying the forum and my "new" '98 wing.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Thanks guys for help. I still have OEM levers and grips so that is out. I took spray cleaner and sprayed the micro and no luck. I need to take the lever off again to see if I can see something strange. Not having been a wing owner before I am not familiar with what does what and where it is.
But you guys are saying that the bike should crank in gear if the k/stand is up, right? It is not safe having to go to neutral, like being on a hill and it dies, then I have to jockey for the gear, etc.
Are you saying the micro switch may be the culprit? How can I check just it? How do I change it?
Where can I get a factory service manual?
You can order a manual through the sponsor of this website Wing Stuff or any Honda dealer in your area. There's a plug on the end pull it off and put an OHM meter on it and see if it works, also do you hear the click when you move the lever? It's dark and its raining outside or I'd go look at the mounting hardware. My trike is parked under a car port where I am staying while attending Wyotech for HD certification.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts