Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranks but won’t start

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  GLblinded 
#1 ·
So I bought a 1979 Honda gl1000 about a month ago. When I bought it, it ran but idled a bit ruff. So I cleaned the carburetors. At the same time I replaced the starter, spark plugs and some miscellaneous lights. But for some reason it will crank and has compressed and spark but won’t actually start… can someone please give me an idea of where to start. The weather’s nice and with gas prices I’m trying to get my bike up and running so I can save money and have some fun

#2 ·
Try spraying some starting fluid in the air intake and see what happens.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. When something like that happens to me, I carefully go over everything that I touched during the maintenance while looking for a new problem that I created.

#5 ·
If it has spark, then you have a fuel issue, did you rebuild the carbs or clean them. I 'd start there, make sure all the hoses are correct and check the vaccum lines.

#9 ·
So ya, basic’s, what is your compression test results? Is there any gas in the float Bowls? If it didn’t fire on starting fluid sprayed down the air cleaner opening. You have something out of time. Compression/spark/fuel in the right firing order and timing to make it run. Recheck your work. You’ll find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.