Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the all great advice. I removed the cover and it looks like it broke in two large chunks and a few smaller pieces. I grabbed all the ones I could find and I added a full 3qt of oil - it was laying on it's side for a while before I picked it up so most oil was spilled. Because of this though I think all the metal was lying in the cover. And she ran! Just like before. I didn't replace the gasket yet but now that I know it runs I'll get more oil, a filter, and replace the gasket. Good call on the bolt it was very bent - gonna need one more. I did hear a bit of tapping, which isn't new, so I might pull both covers and check the valve clearances while I'm at it - not sure what else might be worth doing. The PO told me the timing belt was done "recently" but I have no idea when that was so, maybe that too. And since both forks are bent I might as well do the timing belt. Any advice on how to prop up the front for these jobs? I don't have anyway to hang it.

Oh, and engine guards are definitely on the list too!

I love this bike, so I'm very happy we're on the mend.

Adding: Is it possible to use jack stands under the frame?

·
Registered
84 Posts
just a cycle jack stand is all i use now ,,my lift broke and that is surely the way to go safe and you can roll up beside it on a stool and do the belts easily .. be careful with those belts when you move the belt tensioner bearing into place the timing mark moves about one notch so you have to start one notch out of position to be dead on when tension is applied ,,good luck be careful that is a one shot deal..you only need to change those belts about every 60 to 70,000 ,,I think Honda says check at a hundred thousand ,,but need to be a little better than that,,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Maybe I'll plan on checking the condition of the belt before I plan on changing it.

I'm just not sure where to lift from. The frame is higher than the exhaust and much of the engine. Can I lift from these mounts?

Automotive tire Tire Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hand Automotive tire Finger Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a jack that slid completely under the bike and held it from tilting that i bought from harbor freight ,,balance is a big thing ,,it had two runners that went completely through the frame and i could lift the front up slightly and leave the rear wheel on the ground ,,,the jack is cheap ...check them out ..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've got one like this, just never used it:
Product Rectangle Red Outdoor furniture Automotive exterior

I'm wondering if there is a way I can lift it up and stick jack stands under it. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to leave it on the jack for, say, a weekend.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If all you want to do is lift the front end enough to remove the forks, put the bike on the center stand and lift the front of the bike with a scissors jack under the engine where the engine mount goes through. You only have to lift it less than an inch to remove the front wheel, then you can remove the forks. If your worried about the bike tipping, place a 6 foot long 2X6 just in behind the center stand and use ratchet straps secured to the ends of the board and the frame of the bike on either side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My stand was like that but had runners instead of a total flat but either should be ok and mine has wheels with a pump hydraulic handle like a big floor jack but again this one should work but will require two people to operate and i do leave mine on it most of the time it keeps it standing straight..i do not not have it raised up just held straight up and it sits that way for two months at time ..Moving the jack a little either way from center will raise the front and leave the rear on the ground but you can not go very high doing that but that is how i did my timing belts and front wheel tire change etc..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I second on weh
If all you want to do is lift the front end enough to remove the forks, put the bike on the center stand and lift the front of the bike with a scissors jack under the engine where the engine mount goes through. You only have to lift it less than an inch to remove the front wheel, then you can remove the forks. If your worried about the bike tipping, place a 6 foot long 2X6 just in behind the center stand and use ratchet straps secured to the ends of the board and the frame of the bike on either side.
I second on what he said. Had to remove a leaky fork, because of a scratch that wrecked seals, and also changing out the tire. Center stand, and just lift the area where the front through bolt for the engine is. I even had to climb on to reinstall the fork spring (what a joy that is). No issues what so ever.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts