Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been on the net every day looking for that ONE. I kinda lost out on a couple of decent buys cuz it looked liked I had enough for an 1800, of the oldest years. however, not true, so I went back to looking at 1500's. I dont know If Im being to picky or what but heres a couple.

There is one 94, with 53K. It looks pretty loaded, and well cared for (by pics only). asking 6500. I thought giving all I have seen, thats not to bad. the only thing is it says it has been serviced recently (really, I need to call and ask how recently). the list of accessories is pretty high. then he says the electronic cruise comes on but will not engage. so I think, is this something ez to fix, or expensive. or at maybe a bartered 6k, does it matter? Im concerned you got one gremlin, you can have more. or am I just to picky at that year and price.

I looked at a 99 today, 46k miles, asking 7200. not bad for the year and mileage. I visited. bike looks decent. its an se. no real accessories. but the guy is the 3rd owner (says he) and no paperwork. the guy has only had one month and needed to sell for money. seeing I have never owned a wing, he ran through some of the stuff. I asked him to turn on the road/turning lamps. he did not know how. it had a ring fire, not on, I asked how to turn them on, he didnt know. I saw the compressor line inside the rh bag. I asked if you use that for filling front forks to, he says yes. I ask him for the cord and how, he didnt have it and didnt know how. so as nice as it looked, there were a lot of things I was unsure about. no equipment with bike, helmets, intercom, covers. which you often see when buying...at least I have. so, again, to picky? i talked him down to 6800 if I wanted it. I made an excuse for monday due to the nagging idea of not knowing things.

most of the guys here would laugh at me as Im balkin at 2-3 hour drives to go look at some n draggin my feet. (especially after hearing cantankerous story, lol)

I wish I had the 8400k for a 2000 2hours up the road. 36k miles, loaded with stuff, covers, helmets with intercom, its an se. it looks really nice. I can tell even by his garage was spotless. it was ez to see it is well taken care of. I wrote him, no return I only have 7500 now, but I offered him 7800. no return message.

maybe im to picky? missed out on a 97 se with 60k, for 6500 w/trailer as well. not sure I want a trailer but thats something I can deal with later.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Bob, since you are a soon to be new Wing owner you're starting at ground zero with no experience, and since you don't have a buddy, friend or Dad to look with you at these bikes with you, you're at a disadvantage. Coming on this forum is helpful but may not replace the expert and unbiased opinion of an experienced motorcyclist or mechanic. May I suggest that whatever bike you think is the one, to get it checked by a motorcycle mechanic and have it inspected. One of my business' is inspecting homes as a licensed home inspector. Buyers are often clouded by emotional or cosmetic reasons for purchasing and may not see the defects that may exist. Remember, your purchase price only gets you the bike. What will it cost you to make it safe and roadworthy? When I bought my 1500, I deducted what my costs would be to get it roadworthy and pass inspection in Texas and deducted from the sellers asking price and made my offer. It is doubtful you will find an 1800 for 7500 as I would focus on the GL 1500. Also don't expect perfection as any bike of any age will no doubt have some issue. Tires are usually a given unless the seller had just replaced or had recently replaced. Any 1500 that has sat up in storage will most likely need carbs rebuilt. Figure a grand for that. I would look for a daily driver that gets ridden regularly even if the mileage is a little higher. So my point, leave a little in your budget for repair because you may need to use it. You should be able to find a decent 1500 in the 5-7k range.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Bob a couple things I can offer is this.

The cruise control issue on the 94 may just be an adjustment sometimes the microswitch on the front brake/clutch will not allow it to set. Just one thought. On the 99 obviously the person with it doesn't know the bike so now the burden falls on you to know what you're looking at. Touchy maybe because you're overwhelmed a bit.

The best advice an Ole Fossil can give you is this, If neither of these feel right then hold off until you find the Wing that sings you the ride me song. I know that doesn't help much but there are lots of good used Wings out there. Don't rush the purchase. When I bought my 95 I knew the moment I saw it that it was the bike for me. You will get that feeling trust me.

Like Dan said you need to know that you are buying perhaps an 18+ year old piece of equipment you will have things to attend to so be sure to not invest so much in the purchase that you can't do the repairs or modifications. As far as the extras on a bike I personally would look for one that has very little & add the things that I want to it afterwards. Good luck on your quest & patience my friend.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
those are not driving lights on that '99 se those are cornering lights and come on with the turn signals. i had to buy an extension for the air hose in the saddle bag, my ring of fire comes on with the key is in the " on " position. starting in '90 honda made three 1500 wings, the 1500 interstate, aspencade, and the se

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input folks, just wanting to know im not unreasoable.

Dan: true to an extent. I have owned many a motorcycle, just not a goldwing. so I am under the zone for knowledge but have gained a ton on this forum. but I do understand bikes, how they are kept,and even, the people sellling them. so Im not a newbie there, a good thing. I do think its all the extras that make a wing, a wing, that kind of overwhelm. I mean a standard bike, is limited in what to look for. a wing, with all the sssssstuffff. little harder to follow. I am focused on the 1500, mostly in the 95 - 97 era. not specifically though. And I am not expecting perfection on a 20 year old machine. I think that is why I say,,,to picky maybe?

Fossil, thanks for the hint on the cruise. when I talk to him, I will see what he knows. Earlier when I first joined the site, got the same opinion, let the wing sing to you. soo, maybe its not just happened. I have been patient, looking every day for almost 2 months when I want to be on. its tough...but I am patient,,,,to a point...we are getting close to that point lol.

those are not driving lights on that '99 se those are cornering lights and come on with the turn signals. i had to buy an extension for the air hose in the saddle bag, my ring of fire comes on with the key is in the " on " position. starting in '90 honda made three 1500 wings, the 1500 interstate, aspencade, and the se
Interesting, I did have him turn on the signals and those lights did not turn on. could be it wasnt in gear. I thought the ring of fire should have come on with key on power, but was asking cuz I wasnt sure. to me, although if you have them, they should work, not the end of the world if not.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
when i got my 1500 se most of the lights in the ring of fire were burnt out and the left cornerning light was not working. i bought new lights for the ring of fire ( both sides ) and the left cornering light turned out to be just a bad connection. the worst part was that the po had cut soo much foam out of the seat that it was unbearable for me but it didn't stop me from buying an otherwise fine wing

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
You are right.... the rest of his stuff is a good indication of how he took care of his Wing. He might have it all cleaned up.... but the front yard and the garage clutter will tell you how he maintains his stuff. Just one detail, but an important one.

The purchase price is a "after the fact" detail that although important at the beginning because of budget restrains, has little to do with the bike after you buy it. Find the bike you want and negotiate the best deal you can get, and then be happy you bought a Wing. You will be too.

If price is a major determinate as mine was: I searched for a Interstate model. No reverse, no air compressor, no cruise control, no air front shocks, lower book value in price. I found my 94 with 28,000 miles on the clock with a factory CB installed, progressive springs installed, a new Compufire Alternator setup for $3500.

I changed the fluids and eventually put on some tires and now I have 47,000 and I am happy.

I don't know if I mentioned it on the forum or not, but I put a car tire on the back and after 19,000 miles it is still rolling above the wear bars.

Good luck with your search.

If you need information regarding the differences in model years and things.... this is a good site for that:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/usedgoldwing.htm

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The purchase price is a "after the fact" detail that although important at the beginning because of budget restrains, has little to do with the bike after you buy it. Find the bike you want and negotiate the best deal you can get, and then be happy you bought a Wing. You will be too.

[/URL]
ya know I been thinkin the same thing and think I need to call the guy I thought I was 5 or 600 short off. I mean, why would I "live with" another bike over 600 bucks, really. makes no sense. Im going to call tomorrow to see how it went for him, if its still available. I felt it the first time I looked at the ad. if i get there an its not all that. so be it.

I think I do remember seeing that post about the back tire being a car tire and went HUH!!! I found it interesting and for a later looksee. There is a sticky, (actually I think I asked it to be,, not sure) about the different bikes. it was actually a buying check list which was awesome and is a sticky. all good stuff.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Most of the guys here would laugh at me as Im balkin at 2-3 hour drives to go look at some n draggin my feet. (especially after hearing cantankerous story, lol)
Bob,

Don't let my adventure deter you. The only reason I went through what I did, was the initial price of the bike.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Bob,

Uou will find the perfect for you 1500 and when you do and get used to riding it your will be even more impressed with the bike and the engineering that went into producing it.

I put about 350 Miles on my bike this weekend and am more impressed with it every time I ride it.

I am actually a little envious of you right now.....You are in the looking phase of your purchase which is a lot of fun....comparing the different bikes, mileage, optional equipment, add ons, which is best, which one to buy? It's all new and exciting but once you actually pay your money and take home your bike you will have to deal with a few things that you will discover that don't work or don't work properly. Since you are looking at a 1500 my guess is that you will need to do some maintenance to get it road ready at the least but once again it is all part of the experience. I have already been through all of this with mine and now I am spending money on plastic chrome???:rolleyes: But I am having a blast riding it and really enjoy it when my wife rides along with me which is most weekends.

Good luck in your search, do the best job that you can to find the right bike but don't beat yourself up over a few repairs that may need to be done or at least some maintenance items. When you do make your purchase remember.........WE NEED PICS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Dan: true to an extent. I have owned many a motorcycle, just not a goldwing. so I am under the zone for knowledge but have gained a ton on this forum. but I do understand bikes, how they are kept,and even, the people sellling them. so Im not a newbie
Didn't mean to talk down to you Bob as you no doubt know the basics on what to look for.

I had a problem recently with my emergency flashers not turning off with the manual button and another member Ron from Washington State recommended going to Radio Shack and buying a spray can of contact cleaner and lubricating the switch. Might try that on the cruise control. When I push my cruise control on I have a lag of perhaps 5 seconds in warm weather and longer in the winter. There will be little anomalies like this even on what appears to be the "perfect Wing".

I had a little different experience when I bought my first Wing, an 85 GL 1200 LTD (the gold model) last year. Saw it on Craig's List about 250 miles south of me in Houston, Tx. Since I couldn't see it locally I asked lots of question like did it have any scratches and on a scale of 1-10, what was the condition of the paint job and of course many mechanical ones too. When I arrived at his house, his garage was messy and the bike was dirty. He said he didn't clean it as he didn't want to hide anything so I could see it in it's unvarnished condition. Funny logic to me. :confused: I felt very leary about the bike. The bike did have a few scratches (not many, but some) and the paint job appeared to not be the 8 that he had rated it.(I later realized that it was really a 9). I bought it anyway, but over the next few days after purchasing thought I had made a huge mistake. I had buyers remorse and put it back in Craig's List for sale to get my money back out of it.

I was very picky when I got it home and every little thing that was imperfect jumped out at me as major. The left fairing pocket cover was torn and that bothered me (later bought a replacement on EBay for less than 10 bucks). I saw surface rust on some of the chrome which was very minor however it bothered me too. It was little things like this that seemed so huge to me. I decided to keep the bike for a few months and drove it a few thousand miles until I ran across a 1500 that I couldn't pass up and sold the 1200.

Since then I've seen a few other 85 LTD's like I had and now realize that what I had was a pretty sweet bike. Doc told me I would miss it and I do. It is one of the few GL models that was fuel injected and it ran like a scalded cat.;) And I sold it too cheap as it was the winter and bike sales were sluggish.

So, the long and short of it is that the 1200 I first purchased did not sing to me at first because I was looking for perfection and was too picky. When I realized that what I bought was really a decent bike, I looked at it in a different light and therefore didn't sell it until my dream bike, a 1500 came along.

My first Wing experience helped me with my second Wing, a 95 Aspencade which needed lots of stuff done to it like new seat, windshield, carbs rebuilt, master cylinder and new tires. I knew this going into it and spent 2k getting my 1500 roadworthy however only paid 3500 for it with 25k miles from the original owner. So my net investment of 5k now is a bike that could easily sell for 7k.

BTW, the only thing I had to do on the 1200 was replace the rear tire which I did just before selling it. Like I said, in hind sight I realize now that the 1200 was really in super shape as I only ran a few cans of sea foam in the gas and rode it like I stole it. Sometimes little anomalies seem so large that we can't see the forest for the trees. Don't let the little things prevent you from seeing the bigger picture like it did on my first Wing purchase.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Dan,

You could of done like the good Dr. and just started a collection of bikes by not selling the 1200 and the Bergman. You would have had 3 down and 4 more to go!

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Dan,

You could of done like the good Dr. and just started a collection of bikes by not selling the 1200 and the Bergman. You would have had 3 down and 4 more to go!
Wish I could have Larry but I'm not a rich guy like you and Doc and can't afford multiple bikes. However if I did have some extra money I'd like to get another Maxi Scooter like the Honda Silverwing. I'm looking forward to riding yours in July.

·
Registered
260 Posts
So I have been on the net every day looking for that ONE. I kinda lost out on a couple of decent buys cuz it looked liked I had enough for an 1800, of the oldest years. however, not true, so I went back to looking at 1500's. I dont know If Im being to picky or what but heres a couple.

There is one 94, with 53K. It looks pretty loaded, and well cared for (by pics only). asking 6500. I thought giving all I have seen, thats not to bad. the only thing is it says it has been serviced recently (really, I need to call and ask how recently). the list of accessories is pretty high. then he says the electronic cruise comes on but will not engage. so I think, is this something ez to fix, or expensive. or at maybe a bartered 6k, does it matter? Im concerned you got one gremlin, you can have more. or am I just to picky at that year and price.

I looked at a 99 today, 46k miles, asking 7200. not bad for the year and mileage. I visited. bike looks decent. its an se. no real accessories. but the guy is the 3rd owner (says he) and no paperwork. the guy has only had one month and needed to sell for money. seeing I have never owned a wing, he ran through some of the stuff. I asked him to turn on the road/turning lamps. he did not know how. it had a ring fire, not on, I asked how to turn them on, he didnt know. I saw the compressor line inside the rh bag. I asked if you use that for filling front forks to, he says yes. I ask him for the cord and how, he didnt have it and didnt know how. so as nice as it looked, there were a lot of things I was unsure about. no equipment with bike, helmets, intercom, covers. which you often see when buying...at least I have. so, again, to picky? i talked him down to 6800 if I wanted it. I made an excuse for monday due to the nagging idea of not knowing things.

most of the guys here would laugh at me as Im balkin at 2-3 hour drives to go look at some n draggin my feet. (especially after hearing cantankerous story, lol)

I wish I had the 8400k for a 2000 2hours up the road. 36k miles, loaded with stuff, covers, helmets with intercom, its an se. it looks really nice. I can tell even by his garage was spotless. it was ez to see it is well taken care of. I wrote him, no return I only have 7500 now, but I offered him 7800. no return message.

maybe im to picky? missed out on a 97 se with 60k, for 6500 w/trailer as well. not sure I want a trailer but thats something I can deal with later.
Whew, does this sound familiar! I went thru a similar experience a couple of years ago. Went looking for a GW, preferably a trike, but GW trikes were so expensive, I quickly turned to a GW, older version of the Kaw Voyager, Suz Cavalcade and others. Never did find a GW that didn't have a zillion miles on it or that was priced reasonably. I rode several bikes and wasn't impressed. I'd arrive 5 minutes too late to a site - the guy just sold it. And on and on. Weeks later, I ended up traveling 2 hrs to buy a Harley Ultra Classic though Harley was the last brand on my mind when I started.

Then a year ago, I'm cruising CL out in the western part of my state. I'd already learned that I'd likely have travel for a deal. And bada-bing, there it was. a GL1500 with a trike kit for a decent price. My wife and I drove 3 hrs one way to meet the guy. I test rode the GW and it cut out on me going across a speed bump. Tried it again and it did the same. Well, I had done my research and felt fairly confident it was the bank angle sensor which was under recall. I talked the guy down due to that and not knowing what else might be wrong and ended up getting a very good deal. However, had the bike not been triked, I might have gone down or worse on the way home. You see, the roads in the western part of the state are not so great. The daggone thing cut out on me over and over, though I had mastered the jump start while moving on the interstate.

Keep looking and I agree with you - sometimes you have to expand your territory. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Keep searching and asking questions Bob. There's one that will call to you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I talked to a guy today

about an ad that popped up late yesterday, to late to drive up. but only about 1 1/2 hours. its an odd bike in ways. Its a 92 interstate, and I thought, hmmm. 52K, miles for 6500. but the pics are very nice. a lot of extras, actually a few to many lights for my liking, but thats minor. so I talk to the guy, he owned for only a couple of months, an older guy with back trouble. he thought the bike with a nice ride would be ok, but it proved to be to much. he bought it from the original owner. now the good parts. he has all the service records and they were kept up. they guy just changed the belts, the stator (alternator right?) and a complete service before selling. a new rear tire as well. this new owner put 1500 miles on it. so he is telling me about the air suspension and im like, wait, didnt you say this was interstate. he says yeah, but the guy order the air, and a few other things like mp3 port. Im thinking, 92, mp3..I dont think so. but you cant miss the air suspension. so after chatting we decide ona day for me to come up. then I think, wait, this doesnt have electronic cruise (not super important to me) or reverse. I call him back and I am right. now, for me, the reverse might not be a deal breaker, but I am thinking if I have to resell for ANY reason, it will be tougher because most wing owners want that. so I was ready to bring cash tomorrow. the bike looks very nice, and has been absolutely taken care of from what I can determine. so im on the fence a little. now meanwhile, the 99 with 42k that I was talking about earlier, never sold. the guy is hitting me up. so Im sure I can reduce the price further, started at 7200 that I negotiated to 6900. i might give him till the weekend to stew. if it goes it does, it was a nice bike just the questions bothered me. I feel the 92 is ONLY lacking the reverse and he may go down to 6k because of it. so I have an option there I am thinkin on.

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Bob, my first Wing, a 1200 didn't have reverse and just had to plan how I parked the bike. I never got into a situation where I couldn't tip toe it backwards. It was not the major reason For my 1500 purchase but it is very nice to have and I've used it several times. And yes the electronic cruise control and on board compressor is nice too. Perhaps the cruise control is what I like most.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Bob,

You're doing your due diligence, analytically. But when you look at the '92 tomorrow, be sure to LISTEN, too. Not just to how the Wing runs but whether it's singing to you..."Bob...Bob...Buy Me! You won't be sorry!"

My recent Wing acquisitions had been sitting 4 and 10 years, covered with dust and mouse stuff in a garage. The guy was not strong on marketing! I mean he didn't clean them a lick before I saw them. Neither would start, nor had they run for years, but then I heard them singing my name. And my '85 1200 Aspencade now runs like a top and looks very good.

You'll find your Wing, Bob, perhaps as soon as tomorrow!

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Bob this is just an Ole Fossil's opinion but that price for a 92 Interstate seems high to me. If I was spending a significant (to me) amount of money I would spend a bit more and get all the bells & whistles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts