Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am thinking of what helmet I want and the audio headsets... I suspect maybe the Edsets are the way to go... however, the main problem I am wrestling with is what helmet?

I have a 3/4 JHC that has what seems to be a long face shield. With it on I would think the mike boom would be way down under my chin. I am wondering... I see most people with what seem to be Nolan style helmets - for lack of a better term - and no face shield. I guess my question would be - are face shields that necessary on a 'wing? I am wondering that question from the standpoint of riding in the rain for example.

I saw a Scorpion the other day that had not only a face shield that could be removed but a sun screen that dropped down out of the interior of the helmet and that appealed to me very much.

What say ye...?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at this helmet: http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/scorpion-shorty-helmets/EXO-100-solid

I really like the drop down shield. It seems to be able to changed out for a clear one at night or on overcast days which is nice.

If one is pretty protected from rain on a wing, this might be just the ticket. One thing, would rain drip down the eye shield and onto my neck more so than a full shield?

For cool or cold weather I could always wear a scarf and mask....

And I like the curtains for the audio pockets... and a boom mount mic would fit and look nice on this helmet I would think.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
lakecharles, you have to make the decision on what style hemet you wear, consider what the helmet protects you from when your off the bike in a crash, not on it, again, your personal choice. I wear the Scorpion exo1000 and am using a 15+ year old J&M headset system, I modified the EPS to set the speakers and mic, screwed the warranty on the helmet and most likely the safety integrity of the helmet, but it was my decision. I decided on the exo1000 for its features. Look for a quality helmet with features that allow easy no tool visor changes, manufactures are making helmets with pockets for speakers, you'll need to decide on the helmet before the headset. Good luck.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Req. #1- One that fits so you will not be tempted to not wear it.
#2- Snell approved.
#3- Well vented.
#4- Looks good.
I would never buy one unless I tried it on first. A small irritant becomes a big problem after a while on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I have a helmet like you show on your link and i hate it ! It is too hot even though it is not FF and i am looking for a well vented helmet . I am going to try one with the vents in the top of the helmet . My two cents !

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a helmet like you show on your link and i hate it ! It is too hot even though it is not FF and i am looking for a well vented helmet . I am going to try one with the vents in the top of the helmet . My two cents !
Hummmm..... not good news! Is it a Scorpian?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/IS-33

I like the helmet like this one. I have rode in a many of rain storm with a regular 3/4 helmet with no shield and just Oakleys and it SUCKED! Rain drops be poundin on the eye balls and forget seeing at night. You defiantly need the protection over your eyes, in my humble opinion. I need a new helmet but baby needs a new pair of shoes!!!! ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not a big fan of the half helmet anymore. After 1600 miles with one my neck was very sore I wasn't on the wing then sooooo. All I use now is a 3/4 Shoei with a visor. It's the lightest 3/4 I could find. If I could find a mike that would work with a convertible it would be a Shark hands down. The chin bar folds to the back of the helmet and it becomes a 3/4 and the weight isn't bad considering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts