Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me express appreciation for this site and the people who are a part of it. I am confident that I will benefit from what I see here. I am new to the site and a new Wing owner (this is my 15th bike in over 40 years of riding), so I have a lot to learn.

My previous bikes have mostly been sport-tourers (Kawasaki Concours and ST1300 were my last two), so I am used to a bit more cornering clearance. I really like the Wing, and I don't expect it to behave like a bike that is 200 pounds lighter. However, I am impressed with the handling and power of this big bike and would love to maximize that experience.

I have already adjusted the preload up to 22 (even tried 25) and it helped but I still grind the pegs pretty regularly when I ride at an enjoyable pace. So here are my questions (you wondered if I was ever going to get around to that, didn't you?):

1) Is there any other way to get a bit more clearance?

2) What is the next thing to touch down after the peg feelers? How much further do I lean before something less flexible hits the pavement and becomes a problem?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
First let me say welcome Swoop, and yes there are some very good folks here with lots of knowledge to share. I could be wrong but other than spending money on a different (aftermarket) suspension set-up, there isn't a lot more you can do to improve the clearance. One of our members (Dookoo) just spent the better part of a day with his Wing on a track and ground his pegs enough to melt the rubber pads on them! I've seen photos of guys that lean far enough to grind their engine guards and more. I have been known to shave the metal down on my Wing as well, but if I want to get real serious in that regard I have another bike that is far better suited to carving corners than the Wing is, although it is more than competent for a half ton tourer. Now if I could just get the Govt. to put back some corners on the roads instead of straightening everything, life would be good indeed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Know the feeling a Wing is good in the twisties but not great , I still miss my DL 1000 for the above reason. But I have a better tourer in the wing !

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've replaced pegs 3 times and consider them an expendable part of the mc.

1. Best bang for buck is a 70 series rear tire, which is 1 1/2 inches taller=clearance
2. Pegs touch down first, then lower cowling, then the engine guard. I also touchdown center stands, exhaust header, and mufflers.
3. Best way to ride the Wing aggressively is to change your riding style and hang off, standing the bike up straighter in turns to get clearance. If you sit straight up, you will scrape even on moderate turns.
4. Without getting into suspension 'systems', a higher rate spring front and rear would help out greatly. I'm going this route in the near future. This is the best way to get added clearance and suspension performance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I thought about the 'hanging off' thing after I posted my reply, and now you beat me to it. Hehe, it was your pictures that I saw Dookoo. My Kingsnake pipes hang lower than the stockers did so I've curbed my enthusiasm a bit so as not to scar them up. They'll touch just after my boards do, but the boards have some decent enough skid pads on them so I know when to say when. The pipes will sustain damage if I ever drop the bike now I'm sure of that:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome Swoop, I've leaned my 2012 about as far as I want. (no scraping) She seems like she wants more but I said that is enough big girl;)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello swoop, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. appreciate the welcomes and the advice as well.

Dookoo, I hang off on the ST, but I'll have to work on the technique on the Wing. The seat wants to lock me in. I don't so much mind scraping the pegs - I've "reshaped" the pegs on pretty much every bike I have ever had. My main concern is hitting hard parts and levering the rear wheel off the ground.

What is the exact tire size you are thinking of and how does that affect the the speedo?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Go to Wingstuff and look up GL tires. Avon, Bridgestone, and Dunlop all make 70 series rear tire. They will correct your optimistic speedometer error and you will be spot on. I find the stock seat easy to hang off of. The forward location of the pegs is what makes it hard for me to get my body position right. And if you do touch down hard on your engine guard, it will lever your front wheel off the ground as I witnessed Dookoo's Friend's Wing do at the track. It was a momentary hickup and he just motored on.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Hay DooKoo did you see the dime I lost. I must go with DooKoo on the hanging off part but be sure you tell the wife what is going to happen when you hit the back roads. She will love you for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again. Still getting used to the ergos, but enjoying the ride.

Mark

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cornering clearance on the wing will depend on the road surface which is never consistently smooth at the critical points of agressive lean angles. As you are aware the suspension is too soft even at it's highest setting. CT will raise your rear up a bit and give you a bit more cornering clearance over the OEM rear tire profile. 70 series will give you the same result however keep in mind that your centerstand will not keep your bike secured when the centerstand is up...I've seen a couple of GWs with 70s teeter on the centerstand.

You can attain maximum lean angle when you start scraping the engine guard - any more lean input will pick your front tire up :eek:

I once contemplated a 70 series but I keep my bike 90% of the time on the centerstand. I guess a CT is a better option if I want better cornering clearance and slightly refab the engine guard to get more front end dive clearance ..oh yeah can't forget suspension mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Trying Traxxion

The jury is still out, but I just had a Traxxion front end kit put on. The front is raised, and with the setting at 25 I am hoping I can do better in the curves. I live in Louisana, so finding curves to try it out on is hard. I also have a cabin 30 mins from the dragon, and heading up there for 2 weeks soon. Can't wait to see if it helps. I know the front end feels a lot better already on the baby curves here, and with handling the bumps.;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Stevemaloy, what spring rate you go with in the forks and did you match spring rates for the rear as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, stevemaloy. I haven't yet had a chance to familiarize myself with GW mods. Is this expensive/difficult to install? How much does it raise the front?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dookoo's friend, has anyone explored the idea of extending the centerstand a bit (maybe just welding some taller feet on it) to facilitate its use with the 70 series tires?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dookoo's friend, has anyone explored the idea of extending the centerstand a bit (maybe just welding some taller feet on it) to facilitate its use with the 70 series tires?
That is an option..
I think the CT would be an easier option in bringing up the rear for more cornering clearance. :)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've spoken with the Traxxion people and they are pretty adamant about having a trained (by them) techincian do the installation. Other option is to send your forks to a qualified Traxxion shop to have them done. Having said that, as with anything mechanical, it can be done by a reasonably seasoned wrench artist with proper tools.;) The kit isn't cheap though $2k and change I think (front end only, rear is more $$:eek:).

·
Registered
741 Posts
My Wing was stable on the center stand with 70 series tires. It actually made it easier to put the bike up on the center stand because the bike didn't have as high to go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, unless you have an expendable income, there is no need for 2-4K suspension systems on the Wing. The stock setup is fine and can be improved for your riding style with firmer fork and rear shock springs. Watch our video on youtube of Goldwings at Buttonwillow and you can see the stock front suspension in action. The Wing performed beautifully at the racetrack.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts