Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced a shift shaft seal on my '88 1500; It was necessary to pull the exhaust header on the left side. I took ALL the parts off. While I had the exhaust off I painted all the parts..including the heat shields.
The torque value for the header nuts is only 7 ft lbs.
I reinstalled the exhaust & set the torque..then realized I forgot to put the header heat shields back in place first:eek: :(
So, my question is; Will I need to replace the copper seals..again? I haven't run the engine,so they haven't been heated yet & had a chance to expand.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I see these reused but it is recommended to always replace them as they are considered crush rings.

BTW, they are cheap just the pain of getting them.
After all that work, I would finish it off right but that's not to say they are fine as is.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks l2r; So, even though I haven't run the engine yet..and the nuts are barely tight..you think they are crushed? I was thinking I would need to retorque them after a couple of heat/cool cycles..:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
shops send them out the door after assembly at torque. It isn't bad idea to check them again after you ride it a few times making sure everything is tight.
The main reasoning behind replacement is to get a good seal. I would give it a try if it were me.

I wouldn't worry alot about it if you want to try what you have. If you hear a leak or get a different sound or a backfire etc. then you know where to fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts