Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 GL1800 shows a constant mid-range temp reading almost all the time. However, when I head uphill for any length of time, the temp rises, too. I also rode at parade speed for about ten miles and the temp went up then, too. I put on a belly pan at somebody's suggestion, but temp will rise, anyway under both conditions. I always keep it topped off with only Honda Coolant. The fans turn on and off, but even in the cool mountains, it will heat up excessively. Any suggestions out there?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pa. Glad you found us. I can see where the temp could go up in a parade since the fans will not turn on above a certain speed ( I think like 20mph).. So if you were riding slow the fans would not kick in and at slow speed the air would not flow over the radiator enough to keep the temp down.

As far as uphill, how much does the temp go up? Does the gauge go to 3/4 or hot? A small fluctuation should not be a matter of concern..

·
Registered
168 Posts
my temp stays consistant

My 2010 temperature never moves, after warming up. With the heat this summer, the only overheating is ME!!!:eek: I have ridden in the mountains of NC, and in stop and go traffic in 95 degree heat, and the fans kick in, but the temp gauge hardly moves off of one needle point below mid gauge.:cool:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree in these things, but an air lock in the system (the cooling system is a closed loop) can cause a higher temp reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the thing has a "bubble" in the cooling system, how do you burp it out? As far as how high the temp goes, it will "peg out" if I let it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
154 Posts
h2o4toby,
My 2010 never goes above mid scale on the engine temp meter no matter what the temp is outside or how hard I am riding. Fans kick on whether I am moving or not. I agree with Budoka. Maybe air in the cooling system. I know how to bleed air on a Chevy V8 but no clue on a GL1800.
If the meter pegs, I would definitely worry about it. You don't want to blow a head gasket. Could be a bad temp sensor, bad gauge (unlikely) or something worse like a water pump, bad t'stat? I'd change thermostat first.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts