Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the question is in regards to a 97 1500 SE.

As I still dont have a repair manual, and the owners manual is pretty limited. I have a question that is probably not to much of an issue.

After reading another post on coolant level being low, thought, hmm, I havent checked in a couple of weeks or since I dropped it the second time:eek: last night I checked, it seemed a bit low, under the lower mark. so I added some, but not very much. didnt make a difference. did a tad more, still no difference. so I added a gulp more. now its to the top, all the way filled. didnt like that, so I took the lower cowl off, and found the bottom radiator hose. put a container underneath and then loosened and pulled the hose off. I would say a full 2 cups + got out before I got the hose back on, which was fine. so I check the filler cap, still full. but I expected that. assuming this is very similar to a car. I figured the thermostat isnt open so the fluid is just sitting there. I ran the bike for about 20min, until the dash gauge showed about halfway mark. I let it run another 5 or so minutes figuring the thermostat should open. but it never did or the fluid level never changed. I planned on riding to the mountains with my son this weekend, now Im not overly concerned but afraid I may have made a mistake, but dont really see where.

any opinions on this?

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Take it for a short trip, about 5 miles, let it cool then check it. Next time you overfill, use a turkey baster to draw some off. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
what you filled was the over flow bottle not the radiator. what you drained came from the raidaitor not the over flow bottle

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what you filled was the over flow bottle not the radiator. what you drained came from the raidaitor not the over flow bottle
didnt think of that, same as car, but as soon as it warms up it should have dumped down into the systemt then. i just thought idling and getting to the halfway mark should be enough and it werent. well, Ill go for a spin and check it out and keep an some with me on the trip.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
go for a spin my friend and the over flow bottle will be sucked into the radiator

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not to bud in. I just recently fixed my coolant leak. Check the line from resovoir to rad cap neck. If that cracks or leaks the coolant wont suck back to rad as it cools. Like it suppose too. As it heats the coolant goes out the crack and on ground. You can smell anti freeze when it hot. Open Rad cap and make sure its full.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
go for a spin my friend and the over flow bottle will be sucked into the radiator
well I took a ride to go fill up, check air tire pressure and just to get it heated up. about 15min or so...no change.

601: dont consider any options butting in. there was never a leak, the only coolant lost was when I openen the lower hose to drain some out. so what I did was drain some out of the radiator, but the coolant level is still really high in the overflow bottle where you put it in. I dont even think the thermostat is bad or anything. I just think I havent got it hot enough to open. I mean, its only 80ish tonight. anyway. I ll check throughout my ride, and I brought a container with some in it. IM all packed and ready to head out in am. geeze, I might even get some pics in.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Have fun on your trip. I'm sure it will be at the correct level within no time.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I took a 16oz bottle of 50:50 coolant mix with me to Sturgis, because I saw a couple of drips on the garage floor a few days before I left. Turned out that a couple of 1/8th turns with the socket wrench stopped that and the level never changed since. Short of a gush of coolant loss you can manage the cooling system enough to stay on the road and reach a town where you can really fix it, and fairly cheaply.

Have a good trip!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.