Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I checked my coolant level this evening I found the little plastic reservoir to be empty. When I added some coolant, I found out why. It seems the little devil has a hole in it. Anyone had this problem B 4 ? Is it a booger to replace it ? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Probably got a hole punched in to as two wheel wing said, they are not hard at all to remove, I did it on my 02 when I changed the coolant, take the left side cover off and I think there is a bolt there and then two hoses hook to the top which you can unhook from the bottom of the bike. You could put a belly pan on the bike to keep this from happening again.The tank is #15 in the diagram
http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2005&fveh=3506

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Joe and GL1800 are right about the belly pan. I have the vented one on my 1800 and it works great. Won't stop something really big, but will certainly keep the vast majority of debris from hitting things like the oil filter and coolant reservoir. Not hard to put on, takes about 1/2 hour at the most..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I had to take my pan off when I installed the new pipes. I had so much grief getting the two lower cowl sections back on, I didn't put the pan back on. I'm going to get the dremell out and cut slots in the pan to make access to the four bolts a slip on thing so I don't have to remove the cap nuts completely to place the pan over the bolts. I'll let everyone know how I make out. Blood pressure is just about back to normal again so I can put my bellypan back on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Plastic coolant container

Had my new bike only a couple of months in '08 when I had a hole in mine. Cost me $95.00 at the dealer. I still don't have a belly pan...working on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rainbow Island, I encountered that problem before. For me it is a booger to replace it.
That's what I figured. To the shop it goes then. I just don't have the patients to do much mechanical work. Does anyone know where to find the radiator cap on the '06 GW? This has been my only issue with this bike. Love the way everything is concealed but can't seem to get to anything to work on it. I like to have never got the cover back on that I had to take off to check the coolant. I think the floorboard and heal/toe shifter had a lot to do with that though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Every time I work on my '04 Wing I gain new respect for the guy I bought it from in January. He's a longtime owner and GW mechanic who restores vintage Hondas.
When I pulled out my coolant reservoir to do a flush and change, I discovered that he had put on a layer of heavy, metallic foil tape over the exposed bottom surface. It seemed like such a good idea, I added another layer.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts