Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G-day mates, I've driven my 06 gl18 from Tulsa to Mt. Rushmore and down into Colorado. Checked my coolant in the resivour (sp?) and added about a half quart. We rode up and down Pikes Peak this morning, (whew) and the tank was empty again. I have seen no leaks.

Can the altitude cause this loss or do I need to look at something else before riding to Tulsa in 100+ deg heat????

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Grandy I have ridden both my FJR and 07 GW in those mountains and have not had any coolant loss. I would first check the oil and make sure there isn't water in it. Other than that, what has the temp gauge been showing? Have you been idling a lot and have the fans come on? When you added coolant, did you use a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge rose once almost to the red. Oil looks good and have only used Honda coolant. I replaced it three months ago and it was topped off when we left. The fans did come on climbing the steep grade. this is why I am buffaloed...thanks for responding....

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, the good thing, if there is one in this situation, is that its not in your oil. Has your tail pipe been dripping after you start it up. I would think that if it had a blown head / exhaust gasket, it would drip out the tail pipe or come out the overflow tube if exhaust gas was leaking into the water jacket. Maybe somebody else has a suggestion but I am kinda stumped right now. Especially since you say its running normally except for losing water. I suppose I would check it in the morning, then drive it around for a while, come back, let it set and check the level again. Have you checked the fins on the radiators to make sure no trash has made them home...?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, thanks for the ideas, I will check it tomorrow....

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I'm not being a wise guy here, but are you sure you radiator cap is on all the way. On the 1500 when you turn it to the right , it will get tight, but it can be turner another quarter of a turn after that.
Also
Could it be that after the change, some air was trapped in the system and is just now burping it's self out completely
ie. It gets hot forcing the trapped air out (burping the system) into the reservoir, when it cools it sucks the reserve coolant into the system leaving the tank empty or low.
after I change the coolant in my 1500 I check it hot and cold, taking a reference at each. the first time or two when I check it after a ride, I usually have to add a little till it burps all the air out and settle to a constant level, one when hot and a lower level when cold.
Just a couple of ideas to look at.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also on the GL1800's there is a small hole in the middle of each exhaust pipe about mid point between the front pegs/boards and the passanger ones. They are there to help eliminate condensation that builds up in the pipes to keep them from rotting out. Also look at that to make sure that there is not an excessive amount of water coming out of the hole. I have also changed my fluid in the past and have found that I have had to add some after a few rides due to there being air still in the system as Ron suggested.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks guys. I still cant find anything out of the ordinary here. So I will just ride it and see what happens,,thanks again

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Since you mentioned changing your fluid recently, I woud suspect there is an airlock in the system. Bit of a PITA but you can get it out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I arrived home after 3000 miles and an empty coolant resiviour. The engine never got hot or even missed a beat. I will pursue this as if it is a leak in the resiviour and the coolant virbrates out at high way speed. If it is any different I will let you know. Thanks for all the assistance.....

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Glad your home Pap. Hopefully the issue will be small. Good Luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts