Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 81 GL1100 i bought a month ago. I brought it into the dealer to check it over. They said everything was good. The only thing was that the coolant overflow needed coolant. They added coolant. After I got the bike home coolant started coming out of the overflow tube. I thought maybe they over filled it. Well I rode for about 30 minutes today and the same thing. It stopped leaking when i turned the bike off. The engine stayed at the normal to cool operating temp. What would cause the coolant to come out the overflow??

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If it's coming out of the reservoir, it could be because there was to much coolant in the reservoir. I can only speak about the 1500 the reservoir. The dip stick should not be above the High mark at normal operating temps.
If the reservoir tank is filled when the engine is cold, then as the engine heat up and the coolant in the engine expands and if forced into the reservoir it could cause the reservoir to over flow.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with Ron on this provided you are sure that the fluid is ONLY coming out the overflow tube. That's what happened on my RC51 when I replaced the a/f in it this spring. Took a while to bet all the burps out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.