Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone..i need some help on a coolant leak. I am getting coolant sitting on the right leg side of the engine block after sitting for a week or so. Its roughly a tablespoon or two. Id like to pick the brains of the warriors here. Where should I start looking. I have a 1990 gl 1500. The radiator cap was replaced about 7 years ago and I know the previous owner had a coolant leak but it was supposedly found and fixed. Previous owner was my Dad.

I know i may have to start taking body parts and others off to find the leak but im trying to limit the collateral damage here lol.

Advice on how to proceed with this endeavour?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
well....having owned a 1500... here is how I think I would start..... take out the front cowl pockets by the handle bars.... can sort of see down onto the radiators with good light and a small mirror....... removing lower cowl about heads isn't too big a deal and removing the fans is easy.... then you should be able to see the majority of the radiators and where plumbing goes.

my opinion

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dsurely..that makes sense to me. Since you have owned one id like to ask your advice. I have heard that some wings have sharp barbed connections where the coolant hoses connect on some parts? Ive also been told that the barbed end renders the hose useless..its a one shot deal..once its on it has to be cut off? If i find the leaking hose assuming its at one of the hose ends can I put a o clamp on it or is this going to cause problems? This is my first dive into this issue with this bike...I dont want to break or crush anything creating a more expensive issue down the road.

I also have an inspection snake cam...i will utilize that as much as possibble before I start tearing down.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
If you replace the main radiator hose, be sure to clean the radiator tube connection, they used to put clear tape on them, the tape dries and cracks after time and will weep coolant, on my 93 coolant leaks usually showed up under the front of the bike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After cleaning the old tape off do I need to reapply any before putting the new one on? Or just lube it up a bit slide on and o ring hose clamp it?

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Jim, sometimes the fittings have ridges and/or burrs left over from the manufacturing process. The fittings are molded products so the mold can create those nasty little so and so's.They are easy to miss but if you don't see them your finger tips can often tell you if they are there. A light sanding will remove them as a rule, then re-tape and re-assemble. Of course, there is some nit picky work in the disassembly process.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mentioned retape then reassemble... Is their a particular style of tape to use? Im assuming the tape is just to get a tighter seal around the pipe? I will probably add some o ring clamps as well.

Thanks budoka

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Wouldn't teflon (plumber's) tape be a good idea?

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
This just what I've been told was used. Supposedly they used clear packing tape, the wide stuff you see used on cardboard boxes. Again it's just what I've been told, it was used during assembly to help the hoses slide on easier ?????????

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...if I use tape i think I will be leaning towards a teflon tape. I will also be adding o ring clamps for extra seal tightness.

On the postive side...i get into it to get the leak fixed and the coolant flushed lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have to be honest....... knocking on wood....... I have yet to have to replace any hoses on either wing that I have or do own...... even my truck is a 2002 and still original hoses.......crossing fingers too.

always seems, from years of working on cars, that replacement hoses never last as long as the OE

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes...i can concur. Im hoping i see the leak and fix whats there. I will take it down..clean it up..retape..and reinstall with the same hose of its in good shape.

If i have to replace it will be oem...local dealer in my city

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a leak problem on my 92 1500 and could not find the leak after tearing everything off. I rented a cooling system pressure tester from O Reilly's Auto Parts and put the pressure on the system that is listed on the cap, I believe around 14 psi. Used a bright light and found the leak right away. Mine was one of the many coolant hoses that run across the top of the engine. PITA to replace as I recall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts