Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pointers? Wife and I are in our mid thirties and since I got my wing almost 3 months ago, my main goal was to tour around and possibly cross country. With Columbus day coming up, we both a a few days off and I mentioned to her... Hey lets take the bike to North Carolina mountains... Kind of said it jokingly but to my surprise she said, sure lets go.

We normally drive up and trailer the bike while staying in a cabin. This time around, I want to ride the bike up and camp. The problem is, she isnt too keen on it because she hasnt never really done that before. She isnt a risk taker or one for trying new things on a whim.

So, I know a lot of you travel long distances and camp. What are some pointers with how to convince my wife it will be fun and adventurous?

I have a tent but dont have much else for gear, so I would need to buy some stuff. If we don't camp, other options are cheap motels...

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
God luck Cory. I personally stopped camping when the Army stopped paying me to do so. I'm a clean bed, air conditioner and warm shower type of guy. If you do get the wife to agree, then it seems that a pop up camper of some sort would be in order. Seems like that would provide the most sleeping arrangement space with the ability to carry the necessary stuff for cooking.

Good luck and remember to post some pics (but not of the wife before breakfast or makeup... I don't think she would appreciate it.....lol)

·
Registered
168 Posts
See if you can get a cabin (45.00 a night) in curso NC Blue ridge camp grounds . This is a real nice bike only camp ground very clean and great eats on site. And of course great riding !!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
an uphill battle. Seriously.

I would have an air mattress, rent a space with electricity and get a mattress warmer to keep her comfy. Check the weather it might even be in the 40s at night in the mtns.

A few creature comforts might get to see the benefit of camping and you will have to figure out what comforts matter most as you are limited in space.

I would have plan B in my back pocket - that being a cabin on reserve and frankly, would guess you'll use it if you don't have a tag a long trailer to hold those items near and dear to the dear.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I got my wife to try camping soon after we were married. Spent a good week in a state campground with showers. Beautiful summer weather right on Lake Michigan. That was 25 years ago and we haven't camped since. I should have kept it to a couple days and broke her in a little at a time.

Keeping it short and having motels for backup would be my advise. Keep her happy and you will be happy. I keep mine happy at the Holiday Inn now days.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Cory can't help with the camping thing. Like Two Wheel Wing my little lady & I always tell people that our idea of roughing it is "When the Hotel doesn't have a Hot Breakfast."

Having said that I can offer some tips on traveling with the little lady.

Do some riding around your area of 100 plus mile or so to get her some saddle time. Don't make any sudden movements without her knowing what your doing to startle her. Don't ride faster then what she is comfortable with. If it starts to rain take a break (women, motorcycles & rain are not a good mix). If you don't have headsets yet & you can swing the cash to get them she will be much appreciative. Ladies like to discuss things when they want to albeit significant or not. Since she's partaking the 1st time I would suggest stopping about 100 miles or so for awhile & ease her into the Goldwing 200 mile+ fuel stops. I did that & since then have actually refueled several times without either of us getting off.
Be aware of your climate surroundings, she will get more wind & exposure than you so ask frequently "Are you okay back there." Another good reason for headsets. If it is hot (which it probably won't be) make sure she stays hydrated. Women have the tendency to not drink as much when they're on a bike because they do not want to have to endure potty breaks. If you need any thing else just ask away or shoot me a PM.

Good Luck & yes make sure she takes lots of pictures to post for all of us to enjoy.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Don't know if you want to camp in the mountains that time of year. The wife and I use to camp years ago but like Two Wheel said, like the soft bed and hot showers of a motel now.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
During another life (when we were both much younger and a bit daring) I took my young wife on her first m/c camping tour. Two man pup tent, reasonable sleeping bags and lots of campsite friendly articles of clothing. What we didn't have were air matresses and pillows (bought the combo ones the very next day) and a small camp axe and means to make a fire. Woke the first morning to 4* of frost in the foothills of the Rockies. Oops, sorry babe, my goof. When we arrived in the BC interior we hit a dept store and bought a canvas duck duffle bag, and the missing essentials and things improved immensely from there. We didn't have a Wing then either, was an '82CB750 Custom with a tank bag, Bagman soft bags, and a tail rack for everything else. Em, lots of bungees too;) Travelled that way for two years and about 12,000 miles. Bless her, she said we should consider a Wing after travelling with some friends that had an '83 Interstate that we swapped rides with for a few hours.
I wouldn't recommend that kind of approach for you. You may want to try a back-yard campout and just see if she's game for it without the travel and distance. If that works, then you can consider taking it on the road.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good luck with that one buddy - and if you pull it off, I will be your first customer at your new "Miracles and Wives" bussiness you will be opening....

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, how about offering to spend one night camping and then the next night in a Motel. You could say "If we find a good camping place you like, we could spend 2 nights camping but the third night in a motel. Won't all be camping and won't all be Motels either honey....Watcha think, we could (notice I said "we") make it our big adventure. Sight see, take pictures, do some shopping along the way, have another sip of that wine honey.....Why, it would be so much fun. Think of all the various shops we could stop and look through....have another sip of that wine honey...We'd leave our cell foams behind and it would just be the two of us, traipsing all over the country without a worry in the , here, let me fill that glass, world. Wouldn't that be fun? One night under the stars and the next night a hot tub....care for another snort honey...It'll be the trip we tell our grand kids about cause we'll have so much fun.....have another sip......."

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
We pull our tag-along with our air mattress and tent along with our other items , so we camp if we find a good spot or stay in a hotel if not ! We rarely go anywhere without our trailer , it's the best thing we ever did when it comes to our GW. The air mattress makes all the difference to the little lady , just unfold it , plug in the compressor and we are in business ! I would recommend that you always carry a good sleeping bag . I would say the best way to sell her on the camping is explain the cost savings of camping compared to a room and tell her it leaves more for her to spend elsewhere on the trip ! Works for me !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, this time around the trip isn't happening. She couldn't get her work covered and I am dealing with some on going maintenance issues with the bike. Until that is fixed, no long distance riding for me.

Next opportunity... Florida to Boston in April/May with a stop over in DC for tourist stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
a little late, but my two cents--take a little trailer so you can carry any and all things she may or may not need. Give her control (time to leave/stop) eat out, don't make her cook.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd suggest a short hop to a local camp ground. Do the set-up, see how it goes. My last wife loved to camp. The more remote, the better. This wife views camping as staying in a hotel that DOESN'T have room service. There is NOTHING worse than taking a wife on a long ride and then camping and she AIN'T happy. That's just a disaster. We had a Bush-tek trailer and had all the stuff. It took a considerable amount of money to get all the equipment. Trust me, a sleeping bag on the ground in a little cramped tent is going to raise all kinds of hell. Add a long distance to the bathroom and well, you get the idea.
Start with a close trip........ Best of luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I won't be getting my wife to m/c camp, but...

I did get her into boat camping on my sailboat by taking a few precautions:
1. This is my thing, so I'm responsible for every task, unless she chooses to do something. I cook, I clean, I prep, I make sure she has her favorite foods, treats, snacks and sodas.
2. I ASK her where she wants to go, or at least if my ideas sound appealing to her.

Anyway, we won't m/c camps because we both no longer want to sleep on the ground. Camping for both of us at this stage is hotels without room service.

We still have the sailboat, have an 18' travel trailer and a 26' trailerable houseboat. I apply the same rules, since it's my interest, she is along for her pleasure, no work expected.

If you can't give her a trip to the spa, make your own.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
??

I did get her into boat camping on my sailboat by taking a few precautions:
1. This is my thing, so I'm responsible for every task, unless she chooses to do something. I cook, I clean, I prep, I make sure she has her favorite foods, treats, snacks and sodas.
2. I ASK her where she wants to go, or at least if my ideas sound appealing to her.

Anyway, we won't m/c camps because we both no longer want to sleep on the ground. Camping for both of us at this stage is hotels without room service.

We still have the sailboat, have an 18' travel trailer and a 26' trailerable houseboat. I apply the same rules, since it's my interest, she is along for her pleasure, no work expected.

If you can't give her a trip to the spa, make your own.
I guess i may be looking at this wrong , but if my wife or GF only went along because it is my interest and didn't want to really participate in the outing , i would prefer they stayed home ! I don't go camping or vacationing to play nursemaid to someone who doesn't want to be there to begin with ! Hell ! I can do that at home ! I am thankful that my wife enjoys the same things i do , but she knows that she is always welcome to go with me or stay home . Her Choice !! How can anyone enjoy a trip when they know the other person would rather be somewhere else ??

·
Registered
45 Posts
I obviously didn't make myself clear

That's how I got her STARTED! Once she saw how much she could enjoy it, it became her thing too.

My bride doesn't care to sail and SF Bay, I do that alone, she does love to sail on warm, fresh water lakes and stay for days. We do that together.

I agree, I don't want to spend time with someone who doesn't want to be there, the original question on the table was how does he GET his wife into it. That is what I was responding to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts