Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you might remember, I just brought my 2005 Roadsmith Wing Trike home last weekend. During the little time I've had to tinker with it this past week, I noticed that some of the buttons were sticking. (Fog Light switch and the cruise control switch). I sprayed tuner cleaner inside both housings which freed up both switches. Others have mentioned that I should follow this up with a shot of WD-40 as well being the the GoldWings are "supposedly" known for their various control switches sticking from time to time.

Do any of you have a maintenance procedure you follow for your controls?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
WD-40 is not recommended by many as a electrical contact spray, a quick fix perhaps. Exactly why ?, I'll leave to the lube " experts ". It has worked for me so far on a sticky starter switch earlier this year.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the WD-40. I received another response that the WD-40 really shouldn't be used for the main reason that it may catch dirt due to it's oily consistency. Silicon spray was suggested in it's place after spraying the switches with tuner cleaner.

·
Administrator
29,018 Posts
Rich,

What you want to do is get an Electrical Contact spray. We all like Radio Shack for this but I use a commercial brand that I get from work.

WD & silicone sprays will leave a residue that will attract dirt, dust, etc etc & "gum up" the switch. Opposite of what you want.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
So far no one has argued against the contact spray from Radio Shack. Some of my Winger buddies consider it an essential tool to pack on the Wing. I don't disagree because I've seen it used on the ride a few times.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Use and recommend the Radio Shack contact cleaner, because it's what I can get.
When I'm working on sticking buttons/ switches, I like to flush the component real well with the cleaner, give it a blask of canned air from Radio Shack to get any gunk out that's left from the cleaning step, then another squirt of the cleaner to lube.
I don't use WD-40 for the reason mentioned above

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Radio Shack, LST and several other brands of contact cleaners out there. As long as they are certified electrical type all should be fine. Ditto on the silicone and WD. Just remember to give your switches a shot of canned air to blow out any remaining greeblies the spray didn't flush away completely.

·
Administrator
29,018 Posts
Glad it worked Jim.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 1985 limited and the compressor switch is slow to move back to position. I see people spray contact cleaner on the switches. Question I do you
have to take these apart before spraying?

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
You should be able to spray the cleaner in around the knob and get enough in to clean the switch. Work the switch while spraying. Put a catch rag under the switch to catch the gunk that might come out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.