Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking for a tour bike, my choice has come down to the Wing or K1600. I’m looking for a long term purchase, 7 to 10 years, 150K+ plus miles over the years. My background is dualsport and sportbikes, have been riding for 25 years. What are the advantages of 2012 wing, and what are the disadvantages of the wing? What are the problems to look out for? How is the CB, what is the typical range, most of the H-D guys I know complain about their CB.

Any words of wisdom about the wing are welcome. Planning to purchase by end of October.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello markk9, welcometoGWOF. the '12 wing owners will have to provide answers your questions

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
There are some members here with 2012 who can share their knowledge of the latest Wing.
I have a GL1500 and can tell you that it is a wonderful bike.

·
Registered
473 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum, you'll find a wealth of information here. I'm a 2012 rider, it is my first 1800, had it since July '11 and have 21K on the odo. I ride both 1 and 2 up and will pull a trailer. Have no experiece with dual sport or sportbike, been rinding wings for the past 20 yrs, starting with GL1000, I've had all but the 1100.

A first question might be how do you plan to ride? If by yourself, the BMW might be a good option, lots of tech on the bike but I hear not very passenger friendly. Another consideration on the BMW I hear is maintenance cost and dealer network.

The Wing is nothing less than a dream, a co-rider would likely find nothing more comfortable. Though I haven't gotten that far, they say a wing will go a couple hundred thousand with proper care, my 1500 had 124k and was a 2000 model. I consider my wing a sportbike on steroids, perhaps not the raw torque of a sportike, but with a downshift and throttle she will go! There were some modifications to the 12's over previous years according to Honda, some in the suspension area (though some will debate that), most notably in the tupperware, rear end lighting, paint and other misc. Don't have a CB on this bike, did on the last one, my only problem was not having anyone to talk to. If there was a downside, I'd say foot position, but most resolve that with a set of highway pegs.

There are some very skilled riders of the wing out there, you tube has tons of videos of guys throwing the wing around.

Others will likely be along to provide their take, don't think you'll find many unhappy wing owners.

Good luck in your search and to whatever decision you make,

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Ride a new Wing and you will be hooked.... Good luck with your decision..

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
Like Whacker said, It's all up to you! I have an '08 & love it, the wife loves it just as much. Especially coming from a sport bike. I hear the BMW is great, but only for the rider & not the pillion. It's also top heavy as well. You might want to go rent a wing for a day & see for yourself. It will be worth the $150.00 to help with your decision.

As for the CB, I have one & it does it's job. Works great in riding with groups & in traffic, but mostly I only use it in group rides because I don't like listening to the BS on them. Remember this.... all "stock" CB's are only 4 watts by law. They will not perform like a linear or short wave.

JMHO

Mark

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
1. Ask this same question on a BMW board and ........well you know!
2. Non-biased opinion based on, I buy what turns out to be the "best deal" at the time while considering passed experiences, both mine and close friends that I trust their opinions:
No question, the Wing would win out over the BMW, hands down! While the BMW does have some amenities Honda should have included years ago, the burning reason for the Wing is 2 fold.
One the Honda dealer network over whelms BMW. Secondly, if you do not do your own maintenance, the cost of service on a BMW is extremely higher and more frequent than the Wing's.
I have not tested a BMW, can not comment on that.
As for the Wing, you will find many threads on many boards of all the $$$$$'s spent to "improve" the suspension. Apparently I am not as sensitive to most of the reason giving for this as I found the OEM suspension fine after increasing the preload to the max and leaving it there!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
There are some real differences between the K1600 and the Wing. The BMW is a sport tourer and the Wing is a luxo tourer with some sporting blood to it. Your passneger would love the Wing's rear seat, the BMW not so much. You'd get a big thrill out of the BMW's engine and accelleration prowess, but the Wing will win for silky smooth delivery and ride comfort. They both start to drag parts in the corners close to the same time in the curves. The Beemer also wins in the gadget category with it's huge array of electronic features and setting controls, but other than the electric windscreen adjuster, nothing else about it really outdoes the Wing in functionality. The other thing is Beemers are not the most wallet friendly machines to own, the service costs are a common copmplaint with owners. And there isn't the dealer network like Honda has. Wings are legendary for their long lives and low maintenance; the K1600 bikes are relatively new so a bit of an unknown there. Haven't heard of any issues like plagued the inline fours a while back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.