Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not what it sounds like. I'm gonna switch to AMSoil but there will be residual oil in the cases, right? I want the best bang for my buck so should I try to get all the regular oil out before I add the AMSoil? Is it possible?

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
It's not what it sounds like. I'm gonna switch to AMSoil but there will be residual oil in the cases, right? I want the best bang for my buck so should I try to get all the regular oil out before I add the AMSoil? Is it possible?
I'll be doing the same thing in this spring's prep work. One thing for sure will be about 4 oz. of Seafoam in the crankcase about 100 miles before draining, and then draining it hot. I'll just tilt it toward the drain hole and let it drip overnight. Figure that'll do.

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
you should just add the proper amount of ansoil. synth oil is compatable with dino oil

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
From Honda'a specs, the toptal oil capcity is 4.6 liter (4.8 quarts).
You will never be able to completely drain the oil. Honda states 3.9 quarts, leaving just under one quart still in the engine.
I've tilted mine forward using a jack under the center stand and with that and the filter still only added 4.1 quarts. Oil stays in the valve covers, sump and oil passages.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Ya'll worry too much.....Just change it and forget it.....By the time you do a few all changes it's all the same....Rock on!

Mark

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Here is what I recommend: On your first AMSOIL change I recommend 6-7000 miles. This is 2-3000 more than your standard drain interval of Severe Service Limits. After that, 10,000 miles minimum as long as you use the AMSOIL Filter.

The reason for the short change is due to the remainder of oil left in the engine that you can't get out.

"Compatibility" is not read right by most people. It means that you can mix oils in a situation to get home etc... At that time, the oil should be changed at the earliest time possible.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts