Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day one of the Guys in our GWRRA Chapter got a call from a traveler who's 1800 trike was having a starting issue. He was on his way to Alaska, and had stopped at a local shop, they told him his starter had a flat spot in it and needed to be replaced. Expensive !!. He got out the GWRRA Gold Book with the members list and called Cliff, who met him and got the wing back to his house. Flushed the starter Button/Switch well with Contact Cleaner. Problem solved.
This year I've solved several electrical issues with Contact Cleaner, one starting problem, one CB intermittent transmission problem and another Light problem.
I would encourage you to get a can of Radio Shack Contact cleaner for your shop. Could save you a lot of grief.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Good suggestion Ron. Thanks for the tip..

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i had to spray my hazard switch with dielectric grease to get it unstuck

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've heard that the contact cleaner can damage plastic and paint finish so be careful when using it.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard that the contact cleaner can damage plastic and paint finish so be careful when using it.
The Radio Shack cleaner claims to be safe for circuit boards, cell phones, batteries exct. I've used it for years and never had a problem with it.
I do put some paper towels around the area I'm cleaning because of the Nasty stuff that washes out,just don't want to re-clean that area. You'd be surprised how much stuff get in around the switched on a Wing.

I also use canned air to blow the cleaner out of the switch along with the nasties. Then I give the switch a light quick spay of the cleaner again, since the Radio Shack stuff is also a lubricant.
Works fine, last a long time.:)
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Switch issues...

I purchased a used 2007 Wing this past year. I have never had a switch problem on my other bikes like I have on this gal!

Good call on the contact cleaner though. I had to use it on the cruise control, the flashers, and the reverse switch.

If any of my switches begins to act up now, I just clean them all with the contact cleaner.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Ditto what Ron said & I too have never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I purchased a used 2007 Wing this past year. I have never had a switch problem on my other bikes like I have on this gal!

Good call on the contact cleaner though. I had to use it on the cruise control, the flashers, and the reverse switch.

If any of my switches begins to act up now, I just clean them all with the contact cleaner.

Thanks for the tip.
Been there, sprayed that. A can of contact cleaner should be part of the Wing tool kit.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You mean Wings have a need for a tool kit? I thought it was just for some extra added weight LMAO

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya gotta just love it when things work out.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts