Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

After 24 years of not riding I bought a 96 vt100c last year. I love the bike however my wife loves riding now also and we ride 2 up 80% of the time.
after 10,000 miles logged in the 14 months since I owned her it may be time for an upgrade. I'm 57 about 5'10. Together we weigh in at around 425 lbs. Never tell your wifes weight lol.

I find the 1100 struggling especially because it's a 4 speed. There is a very big difference in performance with riding with her vs without her. I love the way it handles very nimble and responsive. I'm thinking if it was a 5 speed it do better with 2 up. Were a bit cramped but she does make a good backrest lol. I'd like to also ride more interstates for touring. The 1100 will cruise at 70-75 with me and seems to like 65-70 with both of us. The speed isn't as much an issue as the vibrations and side to side swaying from the cross winds. She gets very nervous. I also have a memphis shades windshield.

I thought about a VTX 1300 I like the look and has a 5 speed and about is bigger for 2 up riding than my 1100c.

I made a post over at the vtx forum and someone mentioned goldwing. The people over at the VTX forums think the wings handle better than the VTX. Comments on that?

I'd sure like one but in my price range I'm probably looking at a 86-maybe 92. I also have a rt. hip and knee issue. While picking up some part for my 1100 I sat on a new wing. I was able to get on it like getting into a truck left foot on the leg first and climb onto it. However it was on the center stand.

Can you get onto any wing that way on it's side stand? I really would like a bike with a drivers backrest also another reason to be able to climb on like getting into a truck vs getting the right leg up and over.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
There are some nice GL1500 out there, I think I'd start by looking into one of them. As for getting on standing on the peg or floor board while setting on the side stand, only tried it once and wasn't very comfortable doing it. There is ride off center stand that might suit your need. One of the guy on the forum here had one for sale a while back.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
welcome to GWOF from maryland , cant respond to the 1300 or 1500 but i wouldnt trade me 1800 in for nothing

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
What part of the country are you from. Maybe folks on the forum from your area can assist in finding a wing for you...

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
If you knee and hip are really bad, you might want to be looking at a trike. A wing weights in close 1,000 lbs. add a co-rider and you are over the 1,000 lbs.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would go to the dealership or find someone that will let you climb off and on several times and see what feels comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
I don't recommend mounting a motorcycle that way. It's only a matter of time...

If your hip and knee are that bad, holding it and handling it at lights and all may be tough. I'd give a trike a good look. Safety first, especially with your better half on back. I hear they get a bit cranky when you dump them on the pavement!:(

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
A good GL1500, maybe.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
If I remember correctly the 1300 engine is a single pin and the vibrations will be way more than a Wing if that is a concern to you. I still have a 1100 Sabre out in the garage but since buying the Wing, it is collecting dust and will be sold in the spring.

My 1100

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 32 in inseam and I still mount the wing the same. Left foot on the floor board and step over with the right. And that is always on the oversized side stand. I can get on the regular way but it just doesn't look graceful. And I hate rubbing my seat with my boot. Yes you can do it with just a peg, but the floorboards and toe hill shifter are a great comfort for riding. Although the wing is very heavy the low center of gravity allow me to bring it up off the side stand with my wife on back with ease. Good riding.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You will love the wing, even more if momma is happy. By the sounds of the mileage and time that the two of you have spent on the one you now have, you might just want to sell the house and ride! You did mention a hip/knee problem, I would also think going to a trike unless you are thinking of hip/knee replacement. The wing is a big bike, though it handles like a dream, but at some time you will need to stop and hold that bike up. Unless you look into the Insta trike conversion.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Check and see if the dealers near you have any used units you can try out, it's a tad late in the season but you never know. Better to be sure of the waters before you jump in. In the model vintage you're considering, try and see if there's a '95 available at near the price you can muster, the '95 had all the updates and tweaks the 1500's needed including the lower seat height (good for your knee and hip condition)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a bit of experience regarding your questions.

I have had some minor back soreness and leg soreness prior to all this.

I purchased a new to me wing, about 3months ago, a 1500. while test riding them, I didnt feel anything at all. After I bought one, first full hour ride to work, and man, I hurt soo bad I wasnt sure I could get off the thing, and been working on it ever since (slooooowwwly working on it :D) I have put on a pad to raise myself up, and there was this crappy back rest that always folds over in the way. because of that, I often mount the motorcycle just like you are asking. Then get all settled it. I havent had an issue doing that.

All that said, I gotta tell you, loaded, 1k pounds to balance with a shifting rider and a hurting leg/back, is NOT a good idea. The only one to ride with me so far was my son, and he is a mighty 120ish lbs. and I caution him about movement all the time and still a couple times just barely kept her up and twice,,,not so much.

I know it might be tough, but if your gonna test ride, make sure its not just around the block, cause some of this hurt I found didnt happen right away. you think..hmmm well the highway pegs will be useful..yeah, try and reach them around your fairing if your a lready hurting.... not so much. I bought some floor boards, just havent got them mounted. I got a seat base to build a custom one but havent managed to finish that either,,, soooo Im stilllll working on it.

So its something to think about,,, the bike itself once moving and comfy, geeze, its pretty hard to beat. easy to handle, plenty of power and just a nice riding machine. best bike for a passenger bar nothing.

hope my rant helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.