Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 99 Aspencade (Gotta get that on the market soon). Retirement is finally in sight and I am considering a new bike.

Other than the XM radio and the TPM, is there much difference from say and 08 and a 10. I ask because I am not convinced the XM radio is that big a deal to me. A salesman at a local Honda dealer tells me the up grade on the Nav system for the newer streets is only about $50.00 (I'm not convinced) so the Nav system should be about the same.

Is the price difference between a new 08 and a new 2010 really worth it? Finding a new 08 model doesn't seem to be that difficult.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Biggest difference between 08 and 09 was the base model included heated seats and grips as well as the TPMS. If your looking for the higher model with Nav I believe the 08 had the heated seats and grips as well. So an 08 should work just fine. Only other issue is color if that matters. Some colors were only available certain years. Otherwise no big difference between 08 and 10. But, 2011 is going to be another story.....

I bought an 09 base and really like it. Good luck on your search and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Go for the 08 base model. The OEM heated seats and grips are a joke, they are always having trouble with them and if you change seats then the grips won't work. The GPS maps is about 2 years old on most of the wings and the upgrade is about $150.00. You can buy a great Garmin that will do alot more than the Honda one. The TPMS is a joke also. It is an idiot light that lights up but you have to travel 9 miles before it works and then it doesn't tell you what tire is low or how low it is. The XM radio is the only good thing if you would use it but than that also has a monthly fee. I bought an 08 base and added my own GPS, and MP3 player, there is an adaptor in the left pocket for that. I don't have a need for a heated seat, and I can add heated grips that really work for about $70.00.
I bought mine in May of 08 from Chapparel Motor Cycles in San Bernardino, $18,2000 out the door, I checked with OTD cycles in LA and they wanted that for an 07, Mine was $16,200 + taxes license, etc. etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your input. I have decided to go for a 2008, with Nav and ABS. I actually found a new one at a Honda dealer near me today. They want to see my Aspencade as a trade in, but I don't think they will be able to give me what I need to get for it. We'll see. I could have a new Wing tomorrow, but more likely will have a really clean 99 Aspencade for sale. It's all good either way. Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Beware the NAVI

Note on the Honda NAVI: The 06-08 NAVI uses non-NT-based software, which is not being supported for udates any more (the v9 is the last issue). The 09 Wings forward use NT-based software, which Garmin continues to support. So, the 08 Wings still have the 2006 maps, which you can upgrade to the v9, but that's the last update available.

The salesman told you half the truth: you can upgrade the 08 maps, but that's the last update you'll get. Really sad that even Honda hasn't upgraded their CF cards since 2006. Further, REALLY bad that Honda doesn't have a maintenance path for the 06 thru 08 NAVIs to keep them current.

I have a Zumo550 that I've had since before buying the Wing (used on my cruiser) that I have since installed on my Wing. I use the Zumo for detailed navigation and use the Honda NAVI for the "big picture." Seems like overkill, but it works for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sn0wghost, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I picked up a new 08 before I read your post. I guess I'll just have to deal with any Navi issues.

So far, I really like my new bike. My dealership apparently wanted this bike off the floor bad enough, he gave me a pretty good deal on the bike and trade-in for my 1500. What a difference in bikes. If nothing else, my old bike was black, the new one is white.

Any tips of things to look out for? The radio, automatic volumn control doesn't seem to work as well as my 1500 did. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Further Comment

Sn0wghost, thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I picked up a new 08 before I read your post. I guess I'll just have to deal with any Navi issues.

So far, I really like my new bike. My dealership apparently wanted this bike off the floor bad enough, he gave me a pretty good deal on the bike and trade-in for my 1500. What a difference in bikes. If nothing else, my old bike was black, the new one is white.

Any tips of things to look out for? The radio, automatic volumn control doesn't seem to work as well as my 1500 did. Anyone else notice this?
Well, you can update the NAVI to the v9 mapset, which will get you rather current, but it's the last one available. It's a pain to do the update, but worth it. You can see the instructions at:

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267&highlight=update+navi and scroll down to Post#5.

You can adjust the automatic volume response with the round panel buttons on the gas tank. Just turn it up until you get the response you like.

The only real complaint I have, other than the NAVI, is to keep your tires balanced. Haven't tried the DynaBeads or the new whatumacallits, but figure they take a lot of the wobble out of the front end and keep you from having to have the front tire balanced regularly.

Oh, and be careful...the 1800 is like a rocket when you crank the throttle, if you haven't already experienced this.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gh0st - Just now got to carefully look at your response and your post on the other thread. WOW. I think I'll have to read this several times before I try anything. I believe I will get a new CF card and tuck my original away somewhere just in case. Thanks much for all the information. Hopefully I don't blow up the system when I finally try it.

You are right, the new bike is a rocket. I was amazed by the roll on power on the freeway. I think I will take other's advise and use my ipod rather than buying the CD changer. I will probably eventually get the CB radio for it, but must wait for the financial shock to my accounts before then. For now, I'll just ride it.

Thanks again to all for all of the insight on this bike

Big Bird

1 - 9 of 9 Posts