Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about the base, premium only, model. It has just under 11k miles, new tires, battery and a 12k maintenance performed by the local Honda dealer. I plan to keep this one for years to come as me and the wife are moving up from a VTX 1300. So, general questions are:

1) Any flaws or maintenance concerns with the 2007?
2) Will I regret not having the Navi (I currently use a simple Garmon mounted oon my VTX), ABS, seat heaters, etc? (I live in central Texas where it's hot...especially now!)
3) What "extras" should I put on it that you think I can't live without should I purchase it?

Thanks All,
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I also moved up from a VTX 1300R to a Goldwing; a 2005 in my case. I have ABS, but not the Navigation or Comfort packages. I can't address the Navi system personally, but a number of commentators on this forum don't seem to be that pleased with the system. I've had absolutely no issues with my '05, and from all accounts, the '07 models are very reliable as well. I have a backrest, highway pegs, cup holder, arm rests for the passenger, and split pegs for the passenger as well. All of these items are well used by us and appreciated. In addition, the luggage rack has come in handy on longer trips. We also have fog lights which I believe increases our visibility to oncoming traffic, but quite frankly, does little, if anything by way of additional illumination. I really like the ABS feature, but that may or may not be important to you. I love the Wing, and while I enjoyed the VTX, I really don't miss it. As far as the Comfort Package, like you, I live in Texas, and a real Comfort Package for these parts would be an air-conditioner!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willmax,

Thanks for the information. What are the split pegs for the passenger? I know the wife wants the arm rests and cup holder. And like the VTX, or any other bike for that matter, the only limit for the extra goodies is the money!

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
From what I have read on this site and others the navigation SUCKS and no you wont miss it. That is what I have read. Now I have a 2008 and no it does not SUCK, BUT I lacks in many ways. Unable to up grade with out much to do and $ and even then its not going to be up to date. Unable to use it to plan trips or to share trips with other folks. Will do you no good if you want to use it for a Iron Butt run. Unable to use it while the bike is in gear and moving. I passed a Honda dealer today that has closed down but shows on my GPS. I am currently looking to get a Zumo for my bike.
I love my comfort package. I did not use it today though. It was 100. I am guessing I wont use it for quite a spell.
My dad has a VTX1300 and loves it. While ridding two up he has to down shift more to keep up with me but he does keep up. My mother makes comments that they can hear my stereo if they are close enough so they dont need one.
I put ISO®-Grips for GoldWing because I thought the stock ones were a bit narrow. It helped alot and highway pegs. I also (added) love my 12V ability to charge my cell phone or Zune.
Maintenance wise just follow the book and as far as problems I am unaware of any.
Good Luck and be safe!! Let us know if you decided to do it and take pictures.

I have "transformer" pegs for the wife. Forgot about that...http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/311/Transformer-Floorboards

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
What I called "split pegs" are the same Kuryakyn transformer pegs that Ralphhumor described. The wife likes 'em. I also have the ISO-Grips--I have big hands and the stock grips were a bit small in diameter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts