Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a '91 Aspy with ~95k miles on her and she runs like a top. My issue is upon cold start ups..it "'spits" what appears to be condensation out of both pipes and drain holes. Enough where I have to put a rag behind the pipes or I end up with a slippery garage floor. It doesn't use oil (that I've noticed), I haven't noticed any loss in power, it just makes a bit of a mess. It has been doing this for years and ambient temperature has nothing to do with it.
I have a pm into trike lady, who is knowledgeable in all things related to Wings, but thought I'd throw this out to the group while waiting for a reply. I intend to get a compression test in the spring.
Comments are most appreciated,
Strat

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Does it use any anti-freeze?

·
Registered
741 Posts
That is perfectly normal if it is water condensation. No worries. I'm surprised you didn't notice it before. Watch cars losing water and steam out of the exhaust upon start up. After warming up, the condensation will be gone. This is especially true as the weather gets colder. Relax. Maybe you should move the bike outside first before startup. Keeps the fumes out of the house as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Many times the condensation occurs when you take short trips and the exhaust system does not have a chance to really heat up. That's why many don't recommend starting up the Wing during winter storage. I once read that it would take over 1/2 hour to get the wing up to a full operating temp when sitting.

As long as the weep holes are clean and the moisture is running out and not sitting in the pipes, you should be okay. JMHO

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
My 93 leaves a damp spot at times.

Also what Two Wheel said about getting the exhaust warm enough to dry out. During the winter storage, I don't start it till I'm ready to start riding again. Stable in the fuel, a tender on the battery and blankie to keep her warm.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I left you a PM on the topic, mine does the same but only noticeable on the right side.
As long as there is no coolant loss or the sweet smell of coolant you're okay.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your input. I don't notice any coolant loss or smell so I won't worry about it.
Strat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts