Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys and Gals, I've been riding all sizes of motorcycles for about 17 years. I've thoroughly enjoyed them. I currently have a 2010 Concours 1400 which I have really enjoyed. However, recently my wife and I test drove a Victory Cross Country Tour just for fun. She loved riding on the back of it (hates the back of my C14). This may sound strange, but I actually really enjoyed having her happily on the back. Thus, I'm going to trade my C14 on something more passenger friendly. In this department, I don't think the Goldwing can be beat. I've been prowling sales and such and am noticing massive differences in prices. For example, a 2008 Goldwing with 68,000 miles might be several thousand more than the same year bike with 15,000 miles. What gives? I'm from the Tulsa area and found this one in Arkansas and I'm considering working a trade.
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Honda-Gold-Wing-Premium-Audio-(GL18P)-104964150
I'd appreciate any feedback or general advice anyone has to offer regarding someone setting out to find a used Goldwing.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Welcome Scotty. I think it's a buyers market right now. The economy is weak and cash is king. When I bought mine I offered the seller 30 percent less than his asking price and he accepted my offer. As we near the end of the season this fall perhaps better deals can be had too. Good luck on your new Wing acquisition.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello scotty, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
From another board

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Pearl White GW For Sale
Premium Audio, less than 10,000 miles. Located in North Texas. Asking $15,000. Email me for pictures and more details
[email protected]

The following accessories
EC Running Lights
Kury Foot pegs
Muth Mirrors
Kury Passenger foot rests
Utopia Back rest
Kury trunk lights
Kury Saddlebag lights
Mike Mutes-not installed
Kury Stealth Lights
Kury Dragon Wings-not installed
Extended warranty until 2015

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome from the Great White North!..Just a side question, nice looking ride BTW. I noticed the vent in:confused: the W/S seems to be mounted very high up...am I seeing things? Or, is the position of all the later model vents?

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Lots of good used Wings available with low mileage. But, if you find one you like that has higher mileage, don't be scared off. Many Wings go well over 200,000 miles with regular maint. Good luck in your search...

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Scotty, the difference in the prices of of GW's around the same year will be first the model of the Goldwing, the one in the link you posted was a basic Goldwing called "the GL1800P".
The model of the bike is where the starting price begins, in the GL1500 series, the models included, Interstate, Aspencade and the SE with the SE being the most expensive.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
There are different packages on the 1800 Wings. P is the basic model, want ABS? That will cost more money, Want Navigation system, more money, heated grips and seat, more money, get the drift?

Don't be afraid of one with higher mileage, these bikes are not V-Twins they will go a Looooooong way, 250-300,000 miles or so I've been told. But I know you see them all the time with well over 100,000 miles that run like new.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you keeping the Concours, I sold my C-14 and looked around until I found a real good deal on a new 2012. Changed for the same reasons you stated, wife loves the wing and now rides with me more. I was not happy with Kawasaki..hope you find something you can enjoy.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Good evening, Scotty, and welcome to the best Goldwing forum available. Lots of sound technical advice and a variety of opinions on any given subject.

About your cycletrader listing. Sunrise Honda is a highy respected dealer. They have drawn many buyers from as much as 400 miles away that I know of. I would be comfortable buying there.

The one your looking at only seems to have the backrest and pax armrest as added acessories. The popular accessories most commonly added are comfortable grips, highway pegs, CB radio, driver floorboards with heel-toe shifter. As you continue to shop, consider what a bike has that you won't have to add vs what you will have to spend to bring the bike up to your prefences.

And before you buy any accessories, check here. We've got experienced opinions on almost anything you can think of. Many of us have old parts left over from previous bikes.

Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I got my 96 aspy with only 16,000 on it and my 84 aspy only had 14,000 on it so it is possible that it was bought but was never ridden. Dont know but if this is for real Im sure the bids will go higher before it ends. If I had the bucks Id jump on it but my wife would kill me as I already have 3 goldwings now. Hal P.S. I am thinking about selling my 84 aspy you can see more pics in the gallery .

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I bought a VTX 1300 from Sunrise in Arkansas at a very good price. If I recall, they have a sister dealership in Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I'm in the process of selling the Connie. The thing is, I really enjoy my C-14, but I tried to have my cake and eat it too. I wanted to take trips with my wife on the back and still have a sporty bike. My wife hates the back of the Concours and I miss having her back there, so it has to go.
Welcome to the Forum. You will be very pleased here,and there is very good group of folks here. As far as you not having your cake and eating it too. You will be very pleased with the way the wing rides. Or I should say most people are. She will flat move and handle.
Ride safe an post pics if you welcome a new wing to the family

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Thanks Ralph, I'm actually going to look at a 2010 tomorrow. The guy wants to do a trade. However, I'm a little worried that he'll want a lot more cash (+ my bike) than I'm willing to fork over. In other words, his bike is probably too nice! It's a 2010 with 8,000 miles and he claims it's the trim layout with everything except abs and airbag?
Folks just dont understand that if they drop tons of cash in the bike they cant get it out of it. Sure it helps but how can anyone to pay retail for "used" farkel?
Good luck and remember post us pics....
There are a TON of great used wings out there take your time and buy smart....I took about two years to buy mine...

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I may have a buyer lined out for my Concours. Thus, my search for a GL1800 is continuing. What is considered high mileage for a gl1800? I found one I like with 89,000 miles. How much life is left in the bike considering it has had proper maintenance?
Scotty, as to how many miles are left on a GW, that all depends on the maintenance that has been performed, most GW will give you 200K+ miles with ease.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.