Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my wife are looking to buying communicators for our road trips and I had a few questions.

First off she does not have her own bike nor does she ever want one (or so she says), she rides with me all the time on my '12 Wing. I want to use the system on the Wing as I know it was built for it and I am sure it is the better option.

She just wants something between us two, but I do alot of group rides and I was hoping there is something a little more I can get to hear bike to bike. I have not yet had any devices that allow me to talk at all and this is my first purchase of this kind and was looking for some advice.

My local Honda store is having their Open House this Saturday and I know they have a set there that is a 5-pin that will go in my closed face helmet for a price of $229ish. But of course I need 2 of them.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
You can spend a little money on a set or you can spend a pile of it. I didn't splurge on the headsets for our bike and other than one speaker failed last year (one of the wires broke just below the inlet on the speaker), I'm happy with the results on mine. I have the least expensive J&M sets they offer. Honda headsets are about 3 times the price and they are the same J&M ones as I have as far as I can tell :confused:. One thing I can tell you is there is lots of alternator/electrical noise especially in the headsets (wife hated it so much she unplugged her cord a couple times) in the aux system if you use a second music source through it, I installed a noise supressor to quiet it down. Bit finicky getting it plugged in under the fairing pocket but it fits once you get it hooked in.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
I chose the wireless alternative. The wife and I can talk and we can pair up with three other riders who have the same " Cardo Scala " headset brand. I purchased both paired set from one of our board sponsors " Riders Discount " . I was wondering if the 2012 comes with a passenger headset cord hook-up back there ? Wife and I don't share the same music taste, so the factory radio is off during riding. She likes the Bluetooth ability for her phone ( Mrs. Real Estate Lady ). No cords to fumble with. Don't interpret this as a promotion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
I'm new to this communication stuff. My local riding bud bought the same headset so we could converse and it was pretty cool. We have a 4 day, three rider trip coming up next month and the ability to communicate on the move, although not necessary , adds another dimension to the riding experience. As far as the wife, well...... she's either going to shout at the back of my helmet or whisper in my ear. I chose the latter.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
wired or wireless headsets can be distracting, it doesn't matter if you are talking to a passenger, bike to bike, or just listening to music. that said i have two sets of the cheapest j&m headsets and 1 j&m 279 series headset

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
For bike to bike, it depends on what the rest of the group you ride has. If they are Gold Wings, I'm betting they are using C/Bs. .
For com, between you and the passenger J&M heads are pretty reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I also have the Cardo Scala and it works well for me and my bride.

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Zuse,

Here's an Ole Fossil's hand grenade (I mean opinion). I'm with you. When I'm on a bike the ONLY person I ever want to talk to is the Little Lady. There's been much discussion about bike to bike, Group Riding & CB's. We tried that once (once). We were with several friends on Wings after about 1/2 hr of CB Chatter I said to her "That's enough of that!" When we got to a fuel stop we were asked why we didn't respond. Of course jaNICE threw me under the bus & said "He shut it off." :D:rolleyes:

Last year we were on a GWOF ride, I was on my Nighthawk & you know what? Talking to the guys at fuel stops, restaurants, & the hotel was plenty. As far as a cell phone goes. Me personally that would be the farthest thing from my mind to do on the bike. Before anyone chastises me about how they need to be connected & they can't be away. I've worked at the same place for 35 years, put in anywhere between 50-60+ hrs a week. Do whatever I need to do for our customers & in general work my *#! off.

When I'm on the bike I'm unavailable. Period.:D

Let the beatings commence.

J&M wired - Talk to each other.

·
Registered
718 Posts
One option that my wife uses at times to communicate is Morse Code. A couple of sharp raps on the back of my helmet does wonders in getting someone's attention

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
I've had a C/B on my wing for almost 20ty years And find it very useful. It is not however the place to carry on long drawn out conversation save those for rest stops. But for passing on road condition, road side attraction ect. info to others in your group, . Even getting information from trucker on road condition routing ect. they are very helpful.
Your bike your choice.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
When travelling on two or four wheels, my cell phone is only there for emergency use. I have onstar in the truck so if anyone knows my truck # (it's only given to a select few) they can reach me that way if it's important enough. I view cell phone useage on the bike the same way as I do on the golf course. I'm not saying you can't golf and carry/use your cell, you just can't golf with ME and use your cell. Substitute 'ride' in the appropriate place if you get my drift. My club car and bikes are "cellular free" zones;)

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
CB on my 94 is very useful for group rides. Safety, direction and sharing of information in regards to just about everything. Not necessary for chit chat.

I like the fact that my communications system will mute the music and allow rider/driver communications automatically. There is an option for the passenger to have a separate volume controls.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would like to have blue tooth for varius reasons and to be able to talk to other bikes at times. But the goldwing has a system built in for a reason. I want something that works with that system. The beauty of the intercomm is that you can shut her off when you need to. But the rap on the back of the helmet means she has something to say.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
for me bluetooth makes sense; why be tied to a wire if you can be 'untied'? if you don't want the cell ringing in your headset then don't pair it to the headset or leave it home or turn it off; if you don't want to talk to other bikes then you configure the blue tooth to not receive communications from other bikes. The reason your GW has that antiquated wired system on it is because it hasnt been updated to this millennium's technology! The Wing is a great bike but not exactly cutting edge in the electronics and technology department (see BMW). For me it's wireless/bluetooth all the way (Scala G4 for me and My Bodyguard) but then again my left ear does seem to be getting a little disfigured..... hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I have to agree with fossil92 , when i am on the bike i don't want to hear idle chit - chat from anyone but the wife and i can hear her just fine without electronic devices in my ear and as far as road conditions etc; how did we survive before all of the high tech communications came along ? I carry my cell phone in case of emergencies and family knows not to call unless it is a bonafide emergency . I say to each his own , but for me i am happy without technology !

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
well the premise was that there is communication in a headset... and the ole fossil does use a headset (wired)
when i am by myself which is 90% of the time, I have nothing in my ears but earplugs. I/we don't ride in groups. At the same time I can't wish for the good old days before the technology of today what like when you didn't have a cell for emergencies or GPS or weather radio, wireless remotes (remember getting up to change a TV station), wireless phones/headsets, computers, internet, satellite radio, satellite TV, satellites, the list is endless. Resistance is futile! But in my case we just had a real problem with that long wire connecting our headsets... she rides her own bike.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I am a bit like Fossil on this one. But 98% of my riding has been with myself. No need for radio's, bluetooth, CB's. And as for the other electrical nick nacks I chose what I want and what I don't want. I don't have an Iphone,ipad or ipod. I have a phone that rings and texts. That is all I want a phone to do.
As for that box in the corner (TV) only gets turned on for about 8 hours a week. And until the USA trip came up. I didn't know how to turn on a computor and get on the net. Now I have the need, I have mastered the computor. For what I don't have a need for I will not miss. Eric

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
In a way I wish that the GL1800 had a bluetooth system installed. But not to my phone, just from the bike (radio, comms) to my helmet. I will admit that the wire seems a little odd and takes some getting used to. But I don't want to get a bluetooth system and be tempted to connect my phone too it.

I almost pulled over motorcyclist and gave him a ticket last week because he was talking on his phone while he was riding down the road. No bluetooth he had the phone in his hand and next to his ear, I just hit my sirens and he put his phone away.
Holy smokes! Too bad the siren didn't scare him enough to drop the phone so you could drive over it! What an idiot.

I agree with you on the desire for bluetooth between the GW audio/CB and headset. Sena seems to be getting closer to the solution, but I'm not quite happy with how I believe their SR10 works (mono only - no stereo option for when you're not using the CB). If a person doesn't want CB, then their SM10 looks to be the ticket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.