Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been wanting to get a bike for awhile, I haven't owned a bike since I was 19 (40 now)

Anyway, I have a friend who is selling a 1985 Goldwing for $2500, plus he will take payments (since I'm broke)

The bike has 32,000 miles on it, and was ridden up until this winter and has been winterized, he took care of it.

I Am afraid I am a complete noob and don't know if this is a good deal or not. Or if there are some challenges buying a bike this old.

The other problem is the bike is Colorado, and I live in Ohio (both of us are truck drivers) , so I have not seen it and have to rely on his word

I am going to have him send me pictures of it from all angles, and send me a video of it going through the gears.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You have to realize it's 26 years old, if anything goes wrong you might have trouble finding parts for it, and there are a lot of rubber seals and gaskets on it. It he has rode it a lot and it hasn't sat for a long time it might be O.K.. Ask him if the stator (not starter) has been replaced. The 1200's had bad stators and the motor has to be pulled to replace it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need to get you a class on riding first. Although you have ridden before, you need to take a class for safety sake. You need to find out about the condition and age of the tires. If thry are old or been outside too long. Then they would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have not ridding in that long, I would suggest the safety class and I would also recommend a smaller bike for a year, before going to a wing.

Good luck and be safe, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi & welcome Goldwingnoob
Maybe someone on the forum is close by that could check it out for you? if no-one offers maybe change the thread name to 'Need a favor in Colorado' or something similar to attract thier attention to help you out, just a thought.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from Vermont! I have a 85 Interstate that has been reasonably well kept. The price of $2500 is very reasonable. Stator issues have not come up yet but there are other ways to fix the problem, one is called the "poor boy kit" which requires the installation of a alternator. Engine removal is not necessary for this repair.It is A much easier fix that will outlast any stator!!

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice already. Good luck and hope everything works out.. Ride safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do not be frightened by older bikes. I've been riding vintage (25+ year old) bikes for a long time and they can be quite a bargain. Although it helps if you have some mechanical apptitude. FWIW I just bought an 86 Interstate.

Be sure to check the tires for weather cracking.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on what has been said already, but if the bike is sound, yes it's a good buy. The 1200's are good reliable bikes once the stator issue is covered. Other than that, a 26 year old bike is not an insurmountable task to sort out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It really ain't rocket science noob. Get the bike, put two new tires on it, change the oil/filter, get a new helmet/gear and have at it. I just went back to riding myself and love it. Although I used to race professionally for years, I have stayed off streetbikes since the late 80's and is having a blast with my "new for me" 2000 wing. Just keep us posted....

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
I am biased, because I have just brought a 1984 goldwing. A well maintained bike will do anything that you need to do. I am never scared to spend good money to fix an old bike because I want it to perform at it best. Eric

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I don't think you would have any problem with parts if you needed them....I looked into buying a 78 GW and checked the web for vintage parts........there were plenty available....The price sounds about right if the bike is in decent shape.......I guess the rest is up to you.......Good luck ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts