Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am new to this forum, looking to get a 1200 back on the road. A guy gave it to me because he had a new model and was in a rush to a trailer park with no place to put it. He said it ran good but had started parting it out (why, beats me!). I was able to track down the guy he bought it from, to learn the problem had been crossed coil wires preventing one cylinder from firing. He surely must have felt like crap when he found out! So yes, the guy was honest about it running. Am one of the many unemployed these days so this is a God send if I can put it back together.
I've since found a couple of complete non-running 1100 bikes complete with plastic for 4 to 600 bucks. I read the 1200 has a different frame, so wonder if the older 1100 body parts are interchangeable? Also, since there are back registration fees and penalties due if I can get it running, they may be so high I'll either have to take it out of State or put the engine in one of the 1100 bikes...if that's possible. One forum said the mounting bolts are in the same place for both 1100 and 1200 frames, but no info as to whether the 1100 has room for the bigger engine...or if I'm crazy to even consider mixing models.
Any of you guys had any experience swapping stuff around? I need to get a seat, side covers, fake tank...that's for sure, but haven't dug through the box of parts to know what else he sold off. Fairing, side and rear luggage boxes are there. Front fender, and a bunch of other stuff.

Very much appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Sam 1st let me say Welcome to the GWOF.

2ndly It may be a benefit that you aren't working at this moment it will give you plenty of time with the bike. I am not familiar with the 1100/1200's I do know that they are different in many ways, how similar I'm not sure. I've attached a link to Honda Direct parts fiche & the guys on that site are great to deal with. You can check the difference in part numbers between the two.

Good Luck.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello sam, welcome to GWOF. none of the 1100 body or engine parts interchange with the 1200. the 1200 motor will bolt in the frame but the electronics are different. that all i can remember, hope it helps. there are a few guys selling 1200 parts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks to Fossil and Buzzard!

Appreciate the welcome guys. My first bike was a Beezer many moons ago, then smaller Kawi for urban use mainly. It's been years on a bike other than 1/2 HP electric pedal activated I've been making my living at developing and selling for 11 years now. These make your legs feel bionic, though for longer distances you need to combine with high speed vehicles. Maybe I can design a rack so my e-bike can hang off the Wing? :rolleyes: Nowadays no one seems to have extra cash for toys, though in Europe and Japan these are hot items for transportation. Going to the local store I much prefer it too, as I gotta get a bit of exercise now and then too! Maybe biz will pick up after our country gets priorities in order (like import duties to protect us..why Reagan's tariffs convinced Honda to make the Gold Wings in Ohio rather than Fukushima!)

Great to know if I get an older 1100, the 1200 engine will fit. I have all the electronics to use on the 1100. It'll be a 1100-1200.

Interestingly, the ad just above my response was for ClearEdgePower. This company makes a fuel cell electric generator for buildings. I think it's based on the old Global Thermal Electric solid oxide type of cell that Delphi used for GM vehicle prototypes. Solid Oxide cells are better suited for stationary power applications because it takes a while for heat to build up for them to be efficient...though for all day buses, trucks, trains, they would work too. Fuel Cell Energy bought out GlobalThemElec a while back to add to their tennis court size molten carbonate fuel cell generators now used at Sierra Nevada Brewery in No. CA, plus many other industrial and municipal sites worldwide. This is the future, as is electric Gold Wings some day! I'll have to provide a link to my 3/4 HP kit for semi-recumbent bikes and trikes also...great lower speed toys! If you can't get a license for whatever reason, or just want to smell the roses sometimes, these power assisted vehicles are the best...though obviously not adequate to get back and forth between SF Bay and Central Valley!

Sam

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
do you have the carbs for the 1200? 1100 carbs will not work, too small

1 - 6 of 6 Posts