Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GWOF:

I was a Wing owner for about a day....seller had title problems, but I got my money back.... but I'm now hooked on the Wings....

I'm looking in the $5K to $6K range, years seem to be 94-96 in this range.....

Lots of variables in this range.....

How about years vs miles... I see one 94 Aspencade w/ very low miles... around 16K... should I worry about a bike w/ such low miles having sat...? The owner sounds like he took care of it.... Garaged it and maintained it..... so maybe I'm over cautious.....

Also looking at a 94 Interstate w/ 59,000 miles.... sounds like this is also for sale by owner... and well taken care of....

How much difference am I likely to find between the Aspencade and Interstate? They both sound well cared for.... the Interstate has Ring of Fire lights.... (which I haven't seen but sound cool) and Diamond Seats.... I'm looking for a bike that my wife will be comfortable riding on with me .... so the comfy seats sound good.. and helmet Com system....

I'm also looking at a real nice 96 Aspencade w/ 88,000 miles.... this one is a bit newer w/ a bit higher miles.... also For Sale by owner....

How much difference between a 94 and 96, .... help me out.... so many variables.... I'm not sure what's important.... miles vs years.... Interstate vs Aspencade....... etc....

This is my first Post on the forum.... I've been watching it and been real impressed by the help out there for GWO's

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Can't say for sure but I don't think there was much change over the whole run of the 1500.Just a good reliable machine.
Might want to see if they have any maintenance records.Oil Changes other fluids,brake clutch,coolant. That would give an idea about how well they were taken care of.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
G'day from Down Under and welcome to GWOF. IMHO it not so much how old the bike is or the mileage. If someone has taken good care of their bike it will look good and operate properly. The mileage is not a big deal either if the whole bike is serviced when it's needed. A well serviced bike will do into the 200,000 miles. There is a 1986 1200 here with 400,000 miles on it but I don't know the history of the bike. [rebuilt or not]. As a example here is my 84 1200 wing that we have just compete over 2000 mile trip to the centre of Australia and back. If you want read "the Black Dog Ride". A 1500 will be a better bike and parts will be easier to get. I hope my opion will help. Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,439 Posts
Greetings from the Keystone State. All sorts of info to your questions. Here is an excellent link that will help you. The one thing about the Interstate that sticks out will be the lack of reverse. No it is not necessary however it is very helpful. On the Aspencades reverse was an option so it is very possible that this would be a mute point. Good Luck.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
On the Aspencades reverse was an option so it is very possible that this would be a mute point. Good Luck.

Actually reverse was not an option on the aspencade, it was standard. The interstate did not have reverse, it had a different radio and it had pegs for the passenger where the aspencade had floor boards.
There were several changes made in 1995 so I would go for the 96 your looking at. 88,000 miles in 15 years is under 6,000 a year. The after market seats are usually made for the owners weight and height so it might not work for you or your wife. I had 2 1500's a 92 and a 98 and the stock seat was fine on both bikes, had 108,000 on my 92 when I sold it and got my 98, most of those miles were 2 up pulling a trailer.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

I have a 94 Interstate with 41,000 miles on it. I got it with 28,400 on the clock a little over a year ago. Love the bike.

The Interstate is the "low end" of the Wings in that it does not have reverse, the built in air compressor or the "higher end" stereo (cas. tape) but it does have the intercom and am fm radio. The Interstate does have a ready made input plug for the stereo system for your mp3 or cd player.

It weights 50 lbs lighter and goes faster too! The seat height is the lowest of all the pre 94 models.

One of the previous owners added the factory CB on mine.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello wdnwing, welcome to GWOF. in 1990 honda started making the three different wings that we all know, the interstate, aspencade, and se. the difference between them are options that were avalable on the earlier 1500 wings

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Howya and welcome. All 1500's are great bikes;)

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Any Goldwing is a good Goldwing.
Comparing the Aspencade and the Interstate model are the trim levels. The Interstate is a bare bones Goldwing ; no reverse, cruise control or on board compressor. The Aspencade has reverse, cruise control, on board air compressor, am/fm/cassettee player and floorboards for the passenger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decision 96 Aspencade

Well I made my decision.... everyone seems to be right that they are all good wings.... I've decided on the 96 Aspencade. Was going to pick it up on Wednesday but the night before, the owner took it out for a ride and the Master Brake cylinder blew...

Seller is a straight shooter and is having it fixed...

Should be about a week now before I can get it... but I'm excited all the same.

Here's a picture.

One small fly in the ointment.... I'll post that in the main forum under "Fly in the Ointment, what do I do about this crack?"

Thanks again for all the great replies

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts