Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a proud new owner of a 2010 Wing with airbag and integrated GPS and love it. Traded in the BMW K1300.

Currently I have a Schuberth C3 helmet with the Cardo intergrated bluetooth communication system. Allows talking to up to 3 compatible units, Bluetooth to Cell and the Garmin GPS and has the built in radio.

I am looking for a better com system that is bluetooth capable allowing better communication for more riders. However I want it to be blue tooth compatible with a cell phone and wireless headset

Everything I have seen is all CB radio based. Is there no FRS or GMRS system that integrates through the CB pre-wired connection that is available. I also would like the IPOD or MP3 input to play through the bikes sound system.

Any suggestions.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle.

I am sure someone will be along shortly who groups equipment and will have all of the answers.

I just got back from a 4,000 mile trip with a riding partner, we both had CB's but most of the time we didn't use them. I could tell what he was doing by watching his blinker going into the rest area or thing of interest.

We found that talking ruined the moment and having the ability to answer the phone at any time would give others the power to interrupt our trip.

I can see the value for some. I listened to the radio a few times to get caught up on the weather.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to the site Gary. Sorry but I'm 'bluetooth challenged' so I can't offer much advice to you. I have spoken to J&M about blue tooth systems and they were very frank with the response regarding the sound quality of bluetooth headsets being a bit poor. Nice to have the wireless connectivity and versatiity though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input and yes I agree with you on the trip interruption. We did a 3500 mile trip in July to the east coast and used the Comms for basic stuff and occasional chit chat. It also nice as a heads up warning like popo on the left ahead or "dog/animal" on sides of road. Plan to use the regular radio/sound system (with plug in IPOD connectivity) and GPS data as is without Bluetooth.

Main reason of interest is that FRS and GMRS seem to be taking over from the CB technology and would like really these options to bluetooth to my headset.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello gary, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
741 Posts
Unfortunately, CB is the best solution at this time. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a nice alternative in the near future

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I didn't mean to be negative about communications systems on bikes. Group rides benefit greatly when using the CB. When I ride with the GWRRA, the safety of the CB is right there. So is the cadence and order. Just I don't do that very often.... mostly, I am a solo rider who belongs to the GWRRA.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Gary: I just ordered and received the Scala G4 paired set. Just cracked the box open so I haven't explored the possibilities of this unit yet. Considering I still use a company provided flip phone this is high tech for me.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
chopin114 said:
" Considering I still use a company provided flip phone this is high tech for me."
Oh, Maestro, ye shud a ne'er told us that;) Gud thing 'tis Christmas lad!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Gary: I just ordered and received the Scala G4 paired set. Just cracked the box open so I haven't explored the possibilities of this unit yet. Considering I still use a company provided flip phone this is high tech for me.
Congrats, the G4 is the best unit out there at the moment. After charging both units fully, make sure to update the software via the Cardo website. The website will guide you through the registration process of your units and then get you updated with the software. I was unsatisfied with my units until I upgraded the software. Hopefully your set comes with the most current updates already installed. The price you paid is fantastic.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
They are charging as I type this. It will probably be a week before I have them installed and personally tweaked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ditto !!!!!!!!
For that kind of money...just ridiculous...you can buy a laptop cheaper, and that thing is just a "CB" WTH????
I'm toying with the idea of using my Motorola portable "SPIRIT" radios and connecting through a GL 2-WAY (which I don't have yet) and on to an external VHF antenna. I'm gonna have to fabricate an antenna mount of some kind, but I'm not going the CB route, that's for sure.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts

When I get an 1800, I will have one of these....
Oh, Larry.....You need an 1800. Can't you just see it now. Look, it is sitting in your driveway. Beckoning you to the open road...You need to start looking at farkles for her. You have even named her and she keeps whispering "Alaska", "Four Corners", "Florida"....You need; no you want an 1800. It's just money. A little down and a little a month..You only live once...You have to have an 1800.......:cool::D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts