Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dan Bowman, yours truly, and our respective mates are headed out on a long-distance trip this August, leaving Seattle and traveling cross country to Newfoundland and back. The longest trip I've made to date is to Golden, Colorado and back over a 4 day period which is only about 1800 miles total.

I'm looking for advice on clothes, especially socks and undergarments. Since we're leaving in mid-August, I'm expecting some pretty toasty temps on some stretches of the trip, and well as some cool days, especially in the mountains. Terri and I won't be pulling a trailer, so we need to keep our packed items to a minimum. We both have Olympia textile riding jackets with water-proof liners, and I have the same set-up for pants. Terri plans to purchase some Olympia riding pants for the trip--except for rain gear, I think we're fairly well set on the outer ware. We're in good shape on riding boots as well.

Any advice from you long-distance folks on under-garments or other items to add to the comfort of the trip?

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Will,

I will recommend the following:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

You will not be sorry if you buy the riding shorts & the helmet liners. They wick moisture away, no seems on the shorts to bite at you. WELL WELL WELL worth the money.

http://wingstuff.com/products/22042-tpg-basegear-stay-cool-unisex-l-s-shirt?context=cooling_apparel

Another item you will not be sorry to buy. These protect you from sun but work the same way as above. In the picture below in St Louis it was triple digits & I was comfortable.

This is a start for apparel. I'll be back with other things.:YellowWow:

Yeah Yeah Maestro. You Killjoy

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will,

I will recommend the following:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

You will not be sorry if you buy the riding shorts & the helmet liners. They wick moisture away, no seems on the shorts to bite at you. WELL WELL WELL worth the money.

http://wingstuff.com/products/22042-tpg-basegear-stay-cool-unisex-l-s-shirt?context=cooling_apparel

Another item you will not be sorry to buy. These protect you from sun but work the same way as above. In the picture below in St Louis it was triple digits & I was comfortable.

This is a start for apparel. I'll be back with other things.:YellowWow:

Yeah Yeah Maestro. You Killjoy
Thanks for the input, Fossil.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
i haven't invested it the ld comfort products yet but a pair if bicycling shorts work well for me on long rides. i had a couple of cheap pairs of bicycling shorts with me on last years trip to frackville

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Will, I have a question for you as well?

Are you guys camping or Hoteling along your ride?

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Second part.

I know you said Terri & yourself will not be towing a trailer. You may want to consider a setup like jaNICE & I used on our Cross Country trip. I posted a link below from after I completed the install. We put on over 9K miles & it worked flawlessly.:3dcool:

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3771

·
Banned
466 Posts
I wear LD Comfort long sleeved shirt and tights under Klim Traverse jacket and pants. I also wear Drymax socks and LD Comfort helmet liner.

In terms of packing
1 LD Comfort long sleeved shirt
1 LD Comfort tights
1 pair DryMax socks
1 LD Comfort helmet liner
1 jeans
1 shorts
1 socks
2 under shorts
1 collared (silk) shirt
2 IBA short-sleeved T's
1 tennis shoes
1 flipflops
1 dock kit

No rain gear, Klim is water tight - this saves room

·
Banned
103 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Ever have any issues, with the cops, over covering the license plate?
Actually had several cops pass us while riding & none of them balked at it. Even had one officer give us a thumbs up & a smile.

As I said to one of my buddies in that thread, the pictures didn't depict the true vision from a cars seat. You can actually see the license plate when in a car.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
We're hoteling.
Ok, then here's some more tips. Take only a few outfits, sleepwear & essentials.
When you book hotels every 2nd or 3rd be sure to look for ones that have "guest laundry" different from laundry service & plan to wash clothes.

If you buy things along the way, just have them shipped home or look for UPS stores & ship them yourself.
Just do not ship home dirty clothes because I heard someone did that. It was not pleasant when they returned.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, then here's some more tips. Take only a few outfits, sleepwear & essentials.
When you book hotels every 2nd or 3rd be sure to look for ones that have "guest laundry" different from laundry service & plan to wash clothes.

If you buy things along the way, just have them shipped home or look for UPS stores & ship them yourself.
Just do not ship home dirty clothes because I heard someone did that. It was not pleasant when they returned.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Good advice, Fossil. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
:idea: Thanks guys for all the tips on travel clothes too. Even though we're pulling a trailer we'll need to save room for the moose head and lobster trap that we're hauling back. :Dance02:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts