Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum. I am currently in process of installing a Roadmaster trike kit on my boss's 2000 Goldwing 1500. Part of the modification is to eliminate the front left caliper from the rear master cylinder, and use that port for the new rear calipers on the rear wheels. To me it seems like a waste to just ignore the extra front caliper / rotor, when it should be pretty easy to add another banjo fitting to the existing, and then new line to the left front caliper.
Does anyone know where to get a longer master cylinder banjo bolt? I would think that a line ste from a right side caliper should be long enough to make it to the left side. Is this overkill or am I going in the right direction? I have to disassemble the front end anyways to change the trees as the kit alters the camber angle for stability.
Thanks for your input.
Kevin

·
Registered
38 Posts
kevakasper, if your not an Automotive Engineer I would Highly Advise you not to modify the Front Brake, You could be adding in some things there that might not be so desirable, like Front Wheel LOCK...You don't wanna Go There......Find something else to Play with.....2 things you Never Play With....BRAKES and Front Suspensions......Both of them will get YOU Killed.
The Goldwing has Combined Brakes in order to Equalize the Braking of the Bike and I find that works very Well as has Mother Honda for some time, also considering it a Proven System that is SAFE. I wouldn't want to be the Driver or Passenger of a Goldwing with a Locked Front Tire and it looks like that is where your headed....or the ABILITY to do so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Howdy and same to ya there ronzilla. I just hope he heeds the Warning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guy's he is building a trike, I agree with not messing with the brakes if it's on a wing, but as he has a trike which will be much heavier, I would think his idea is not unreasonable.. Certainly I would think there is no additional risk making the mod he suggest over replacing the entire caliper for another one that doesn't have two independant hydrolic circuits. It would certainly be cheaper to make his mod than buy two new calipers, but I don't know if the master cylinder would be upto the job of supplying enough fluid to both ciruits in the caliper when breaking, he will probably need a larger bore master cylinder..

Gary

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
maybe he could use the " t " fitting ( like the one on my 750f )from another honda. just run a three line setup.linked brakes i'm not very impressed with and if it were worth the effort nither of my wings would have them but to un-link the brakes would probally require a different master cyl for the front

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The left front will still work w/the brake lever, just not w/the brake pedal. Wing has a linked system. Brake lever activates one set of "pucks" in the caliphers, while the brake pedal activates others.
A lot of conversions eliminate this linking of the brakes. Follow the instructions!
Dawg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts