Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added the Comagination Brake light flasher to my Bonneville a couple of years ago, and it was bomb proof. Easy to install and worked flawlessly. It really makes you stick out when braking! So, I decided to add one to the GW. Same unit-flashes 11 times in about 3 seconds and re-flashes if you lift up on the brake.
I screwed up and failed to take photos of the install, but, I'll walk though the directions anyway.:(

1. Remove the lower trunk side panels. Do this by removing the 3 screws per side(left and right) located on the inside of the truck. The lower trunk molding simply wiggles off from front to rear.
2. Remove the rear section of the lower truck panel. This is the piece that surrounds the trunk and side bag handles. Do this by removing the 2 screws on either side which are exposed when you removed the side panels. You need to gently pull down the trunk/side bag handles and the piece comes right off.
3. The rear light wire bundles come down from each taillight fixture.
The left bundle comes down and crosses over to the right side. The right bundle comes down and connects into the left bundle. The bundles are wrapped in black plastic wrap. You'll need to gently cut into the wrap at the junction. This exposes the wires. You need to identify;
a. The green wires with a silver bar. There are four. Any one will do. This is a ground wire.
b. The smaller green with red stripe wires. There are two per side. These are the brake light wires. You will need all of these.

The Comagination unit is nothing more than an inline switch with 3 wires. You need to connect the Black ground wire from the Comagination unit to the green ground wire. Connect to any green ground wire-again you have four to choose from. Connect this wire inline. In otherwords, the ground wire still needs to act as a ground to the light it goes to. I cut it in two, soldered in the black Comagination wire to the other two pieces, and shrink wrapped. Done.
The Blue wire from the Comagination unit connects to the light side of the Green/red wires. The Red Comagination wire connects to the Switchside of the Green Red wires. Simply cut all four wires (at the same place so the cuts are close to each other) in two. Solder the blue Comagination wire to the four green/red wire coming from the taillights and shrink wrap. Now connect the Red Comagination wire to the four Green/red wire on the switchside.

Wrap the wiring harness with electric tape, or shrink wrap the harness and zip tie the harness to secure. Your done.

Note; Before you solder, test the circuit by twisting the wires together temporarily. Once you see that it works, you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Get some pics of the results....

·
Registered
119 Posts
What year wing do you have?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts