Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I live in Phoenix and I'm going on a trip up through Colorado in about 3 weeks. Any suggestions on must go on roads?
I think just about anywhere in Colorado is a good ride.

Thanks,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Howdy neighbor!

I live in Ahwatukee (I-10 and Chandler Blvd. area)....... my bike is in Montrose, Co. right now. I flew home today. Stayed at Black Canyon RV a nice little cabin off airbnb for $65 a nite. Rode up to Crested Butte area, Ouray, Ridgway.....I was in that area four days and one day had very active thunderstorms...cut my day a little short.

I may end up around Aspen,Breckenridge area when I go back. I'll fly to Montrose and head out .... but may head up to Yellowstone...we'll see. I'm going back this Sunday.

Clary Roberts

·
Super Moderator
14,111 Posts
I have Hwy 149 between South Fork and US 50 near Gunnison, with a stop in Creede, on my bucket list. Also I used to work in Gould and Hwy 14 from Fort Collins up the Cache La Poudre Canyon and over Cameron Pass is a great road.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Million Dollar Highway, Trail Ridge Road, But Hwy 65 from Delta to Mesa was my favorite of all just watch for cattle. It is open range.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Memorial Rock -

Hey Dezzertrider - I also recommend a run up the "Million Dollar Highway" toward Silverton and Ouray. Then while in the area, you might want to see Colorado's Newly Named "Memorial Rock" on highway 45 between Cortez and Telluride.

After this 8.5 million lb monster came to rest in the middle of the road, the Colorado Dept of Bean Counters decided it would cost less to leave this thing in place as a tourist attraction and build a leg of the highway around it rather than trying to blast it to pieces. A public contest and prize was awarded to the one who came up with a proper name. From what I understand - "Big A$$ Rock In The Road" came in a close second......:)

Ride Safe - Michael

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Look forward to your recount of the ride. I might just steal, em, borrow some of your ideas next year...:wink2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Unless it has been repaved, STAY OFF of state route 139 from just west of Grand Junction to Rangely. It is in the NW corner of the state. It would be Ok if you are on an duel sport bike. At one of the summits, it goes down to a single lane on a two lane road! No warnings. Both lanes just have to fend for themselves. The pavement was horrible when I was on it. A gravel road would have been smoother!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of great roads in Colorado. Highway 149 from South Fork to the Hwy 50 junction (suggested by crownfire) was great the 2nd week in June. Rivers and streams were running high from the snow melt. We also rode past the big rocks on Hwy 145. They had just reopened it to traffic the week we were there. No one should miss MDH 550. Ouray is really cool. on another trip we rode Rocky Mountain National park and Estes Park area. Everyone needs to ride the Pikes Peak highway. It can be a little challenging two-up.

There are some good roads in Arizona as well. You should go over and ride the Coronado Trail and stay on 191 to I-40 on your way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just came from there a month ago but in a cage. Rocky Mountain National Park would be high on my list. Estes Park is a neat little town and of course there's Mount Evans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I rode out of Colorado the other day....was staying around Dillon area, very nice. Had a great condo for $42 a night on AirBnB.

Loved the area..but now am in Jackson Hole, Wyoming...will go North through the parks and exit the North side...then..??? Depending on the weather...eventually I will end up on the coast and ride down the coast and back to Phoenix around the end of September.

I tried out a cheapo action camera...you get what you pay for. I'm going to buy me a GoPro today.

I'll consider staying in Colorado next year at least a month or more to escape this heat.

Clary Roberts
2003 GW

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Memorial Rock is the one they left there, there was another. Two giant rocks came down. The one right in the middle of what used to be blacktop was blown up. They actually built a dirt ramp up to the top of that rock to get a drilling truck up on it. They drilled about 15 holes, filled em with explosives, and let em off. It left no rocks bigger than a large trash can. The hiway dept then routed the new road slightly around the remaining rock. If anyone takes that route, from Dolores to Telluride over Lizard Head Pass (a favorite route of mine), stop at the little town of Rico at the Enterprise Bar & Grill. Best hamburgers in Colorado, and the rest of the menu is great. Also notice just down below Rico you will cross Scotch Creek. It flows single malt Jan-Mar, blended the rest of the year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update 8.23.2019

Out of Colorado and up to Yellowstone National Park a few day....got that GoPro Hero 7 Black. Much better everything, camera, software etc...absolutely 1000% better. I'll see if I can post a video I made 1 minute long..still learning software.

Road through about half of Montana and ended up in Spokane Wa. Storm approaching, not big so...I took a 3 day break.

Flew to Phoenix..left bike at dealer to get some switches unstuck so I can have my reverse and sounds (mute was stuck on).

Just brainstorming and looking for tips from those who've been there done that...........

Go from Spokane to Seattle over a few days......gotta be a scenic way to get from Spokane to Seattle over them little mountains right?

Then Seattle to San Diego?? along the coast....no hurry, no schedule...

I may take the bike somewhere in Seattle and upgrade my two speakers and ad an amp to boast them...any recommendations? I tried Sena headset...wouldn't play loud enough...tried using my Airbuds...uncomfortable and clumsy. Going back to the bikes speakers which I have rarely used. Any suggestions for speakers?

TIA, flying to Spokane tomorrow to resume the adventure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts