Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready for a 10 day trip from Tulsa through southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. This is a long time dream come true for me. This will also be my first trip over three days on the road. Expecting high temperatures.

Any suggestions are welcomed....

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
ENJOY... Nothing like a trip on the Wing. Pack light and layered for comfort. Rain gear and camera for pics. Have a great time..

·
Super Moderator
14,416 Posts
I’ve been looking at maps of that area for a week now. Thinking about a long ride this fall. Keep us informed on how it goes and have a great time.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Good for you Grandy, have a safe trip and enjoy your journey, like two wheel said pack that camera so you can share with us other poor shmucks.:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just moved from TX and heat here as well as the mountains is a lot easier to take. When I go on longer rides I take my cool vest. Really the way to go. JustSTAY HYDRATED Take plenty of water and keep drinking it. You won't feel the heat due to evaperation but you will dry out real fast. Broke my foot as soon as I moved to Westen KS but when the Dr tells me it is OK will ride I 70 to Grand Junction and back.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Grandy, I just landed for the night in Page Az. I will take you backwards from here the route I did. It may interest you.

98 to 160 (nice roads) to Four Corners Monument (closed for construction) they let you in & the Native Americans have some shops around. You can walk around the outside fencing so in efect you walk in four states in a couple of minutes.:cool:
160 into Co. through Cortez (My suggestion if you have at least 4 Hrs go to Mesa Verde Nat. Park.) Pueblo Indian Ruins 700 to 1500 yrs old in cliffs (very cool). Roads not the best Gov. spending a ton of money but they are passable just need to be careful. Leaving there go thru Mancos (If you need a place to stay Enchated Mesa Hotel in Mancos. Run by a Guy & his wife Tom & Lora all the amenties of the big boys even fresh danishs & bagels in a Rt66 style setting. Old but very clean & you can tell they really love their place) into Durango (resort town). When you get to Pagosa Springs take 84 south to Sante Fe fun road. Great scenery After Sante Fe scoot around on 84 Interstate to Las Vegas pickup 104 South to Tucumcari. Another great stretch of road that at times the little lady & I thought we were the only ones who knew about it. Obviously at that point we were either on Old 66 or I-40 to Tulsa.

Now as I said I just gave that to you backwards because we're in Page now. I Highly encourage you to make time to go to Mesa Verde. We really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
fossil92 just gave you some great information. I've been through that area a couple of times, and the route he took is awsome! The biggest problem is, that when you get home, you will hate yourself for not having more time for sidetrips and rides while you are there.
I spent 8 days camping in the Southern and South-Central mountains of Colo. and still didn't make a dent in all there is to see.
Have a great trip. You'll love it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, this is all super info and thanks for the safe wishes. I will give more details in about two weeks with pics. We are mapped to go pretty much the route Fossil wrote. Thanks again.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Robert, checked out your website this morning. Great job! I have traveled much of the Colorado area you visited, and your pics, descriptions and routes are spot on.
My next long trip, will include the Texas Hill Country, so I found your info very helpful. I would suggest anyone planning trips to either of those areas should bookmark your website for later use.
Thank You

1 - 11 of 11 Posts